The inception of the movement toward establishing an Associate
Reformed Presbyterian congregation at Sharon was brought about through a
passing visit of Rev. M. M. Brown now of
New Wilmington, Penn., who at the next meeting of the Lawrence
Presbytery recommended that a committee be sent to look over the field.
This was accordingly done, and in June, 1858, Rev.
William Findley, D. D., acting under the direction of that
presbytery, organized a congregation in Sharon. The following comprised
the first members: David T. Porter, Mrs. Ann
Porter, John Titus, Mrs. Mary Titus, Miss Ann Eliza Titus, Miss Rosanna
Titus, Mrs. Mordock, Mrs. Adams, Mrs. Duncan, Miss Mary McHenry, James
Raney, Mrs. Mary Raney, Miss Margaret Raney, John Raney, Mrs. Tirza Love
and Miss Mary McClelland. The building at present occupied was
erected in 1865 at a cost of $11,000. It is a brick, and is commodious
and convenient for the purposes to which it is devoted. The pastors of
the congregation have been Rev. B. K. Ormond,
its first minister, who began preaching in Sharon in April, 1858, before
the organization of the flock into a regular congregation, and who was
installed regular pastor shortly afterward, at first dividing his time
between the Sharon and Clarksville charges, and afterward serving the
former church exclusively until December 31, 1880; and the present
pastor, Rev. John A. Bailey, who entered
upon his ministry in January, 1883. In the opening part of the year 1881
the congregation, through unfortunate occurrences, became disorganized.
April 19, the same year, a reorganization was, however, effected through
the instrumentality of Rev. Robert McWatty, D. D.,
acting under the direction of the United Presbyterian Presbytery
of Mercer. The membership at that time was fifty; now it is 140.
Following is a list of ruling elders: John Titus,
David T. Porter, Robert Strain, William L. Thompson, William J.
Hamilton, Robert Templeton, J. H. McElheny, M. D., J. E. McGeehan, E. M.
Jesse Huff, G. A. Hawk, J. W. Paisley, M. K. Hamilton, A. G. McNabb,
William A. Kelley and Thomas Ray.
of Mercer County, 1888, pages 391-392