was a thriving mining communing about four miles east of Mercer in Findley
village was named for the Pardoe Brothers - William
and Hunter, the owners of the land where the Pardoe was built.
Mining and Manufacturing, and the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad were the
life-blood of early Pardoe. Pardoe had several major mines.
mining was at its peak, between 1880 and 1910, the population of Pardoe
rose to 2500 - 3500 inhabitants, many of them immigrants from Germany,
Austria, Scotland and England. The large mines closed in the 1920s,
followed by the smaller mines in the 1930s. Today Pardoe is
comprised of a few homes.
in Pardoe, according to the 1873 Combination Atlas for Mercer County:
B. Heidrick, Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries,
Boots, Shoe, Hardware & Etc.; two churches, a Miners Hall and a post
in Pardoe in 1873: Thomas Hosack, J. Scholk,
D. Davies, Hugh Hayton, Rich Humphrey, Ed. Buckham, R. Jones, H. Goodhead,
R. H. Humphrey, William Peters, C. Meek, A. Uhl, William Pardoe, Joseph
Myers, John Michaels, J. E. Hammond, John Daum, G. H. Moore, H. Krah, and