Mifflin County Biographies
"History of the Juniata Valley and Its People, Vol. II" 1913
This is a corrupted form of the Irish surname Ultz, but in
the Juniata Valley family, Ulsh seems to be the prevailing
spelling and pronounciation. The founder of this branch
was John Ulsh, who was born in Centerville, Union county, Pennsylvania, and was a son of George Ulsh, who was born of Scotch-Irish parentage. He married Judith Bruce, and they had five children, four
daughters and one son, John being the son's name. John settled in Snyder county, where he was a cabinetmaker, and spent the balance of his
life in that county, dying in Beavertown, where he is buried. Hannah
Ulsh is buried at Yeagertown, Pennsylvania; they were both Lutherans.
He married Hannah Nitze, and ten children blessed their union, four
sons and six daughters, of these John Ulsh is the father of E. E. Ulsh.
John (2), son of John (1) Ulsh, was born in what is now Snyder county, Pennsylvania, in 1848, and since 1886 has been a resident
of South Main street, Lewistown. He grew to manhood in Snyder
county, and attended the public schools and learned the tanner's trade.
Later he became a stonemason. He located when a young man in Ferguson's Valley, Mifflin county, lived there for several years, then entered the employ of the Logan Iron & Steel Company, of Burnham, with
which he is yet connected. He is a Democrat in politics and a member
of the Methodist Episcopal church. He married Susan, daughter of
John Price, who came early to Mifflin county, later moving to the state
of Missouri, where he died. Children: Harry, killed in a railroad accident; Hosea, Cora B., Elmer E., (see below); Clarence, twin of
Elmer E., son of John (2) and Susan (Price) Ulsh, was born
in Ferguson's valley, Mifflin county, Pennsylvania, March 26, 1875. He
attended the public schools of the valley until 1886, when his parents
moved to Lewistown, where he finished his studies in the public schools.
He became an expert carpenter and has been engaged successfully as a contractor and builder in Lewistown. In 1903 he located his
residence at No. 21 Depot street, which he still owns, and in 1911 erected
his present place of business at No. 9 Montgomery avenue. He has established an excellent reputation as an honorable, capable builder, and is
held in high esteem as a man and neighbor. He is a Democrat in politics
and is now serving a term of six years as school director, to which he
was elected in 1912. He is a member of the board of trade, and uses
his influence to further all movements for the public good. His fraternity is the Improved Order of Red Men. In religious faith he is
Methodist Episcopal as is also his family.
He married, in 1902, Mary Ella, born in Newport, Perry county.
Pennsylvania, daughter of Thomas White, who came to Lewistown in
1891, now residing at No. 23 Depot street. Children: Thomas J., born
March 11, 1908; Grace Elizabeth, April 12, 1909.
Mifflin County, PA AGHP
© 2012 Mifflin County Pennsylvania AHGP