Mifflin County Directories
1832 Gazetteer of Pennsylvania
Mifflin County Entries
|[Transcriber's note: this gazetteer was compiled over 180 years ago, and names and boundaries have changed much since then. Some of these places may not be found on modern maps.]|
Mifflin county, was formed by virtue
of the act 19th September, 1789, from
parts of Cumberland and Northumberland counties, and is bounded N.
by Centre, E. by Union, S. by Juniata, and S. W. and W. by Huntingdon
counties. Length 39 miles, breadth
15 miles. Its form is very irregular,
and it may contain about 301 sq. ms.
This county is near the centre of
the great transition formation of the
state. It is surrounded by mountains,
and traversed by several ranges of
lofty hills. Crossing it from the S.
we have Blue
ridge, N. of which flows Juniata river,
through Juniata valley, bounded northward by Limestone ridge. Jack's mountain, Stoney mountain, and Path Valley mountain. The whole of this
mountainous region is underlaid with
limestone, which, being near and on
the surface in the valleys, renders
them highly fertile. Iron ore abounds
in many parts of the county, but more
particularly in Union, Derry, and
Wayne townships. Its quality is that
well known and highly apprecialed, as
Juniata iron. In the limestone valleys there are some caves, such as are
common in limestone countries. That
in Wayne township, called Hannewal's
cave, is, we believe, the most extensive, having a depth of more than 100
rods. Considerable quaniilies of saltpetre have been obtained from it at sundry times.
The Juniata river enters this county
from Huntingdon county, through
Jack's mountain, below Drake's ferry,
and forms the S. W. boundary for 7
or 8 miles, pursuing a S. E. course,
then doubling by a narrow turn of 2
or 3 miles, it runs a N. E. course by
Hamiltonville, Waynesborough, and
Lewistown, to the Long Narrows,
through which it flows into Juniata co.
Its whole course through the county is
about 35 miles in length. It receives
from the county the Kishcoquillas and
Jack's creeks, and several inconsiderable streams. The Pennsylvania canal follows the river through the co.
keeping the right bank, for about 5
miles below Jack's mountain, thence
crossing by an aqueduct to the left,
near to Hamiltonville, it preserves
that margin, giving to Waynesburg
and Lewistown the advantages of its
The great western turnpike road,
by the northern route, also follows the
valley of the Juniata, and passing the
towns of Lewis and Waynesburg, runs
through the gap, at Jack's mountain.
Another turnpike road leads from
Lewistown to Bellefonte in Centre co.
by which much of the iron of the latter county is conveyed to the Juniata
The towns of the county are Lewistown, Waynesburg, Hamiltonville, Belleville, Calhounsville, and McCollester'stown, &c. &c.
The whole population amounted in
1800, to 7000; in 1810, to 12,132;
in 1820, to 16,618, and in 1830, exclusive of Juniata county, to 14,323.
The taxables in 1828, were 2395.
There are in the county 9 churches,
of which the Presbyterians have 5 or
6, the Methodists 2, and Episcopalians
1. There are a county Bible association, several tract societies, Sunday
schools in such vicinages as admit of
them, and a temperance society in
each township. Common schools are established where needed, and usually
well attended. An academy was incorporated at Lewistown in 1815, and
endowed with the sum of $2000 by the
state, and the expense of educating the
poor under the laws of the commonwealth, amounts to $1400 annually.
There are 2 newspapers published
weekly at Lewistown, viz.: the Mifflin Eagle and Juniata Gazette.
The manufactures of the county,
with the exception of flour and iron,
claim little consideration. There are
3 furnaces and 1 forge. The principal exports are wheat flour, whiskey
and iron. The quantity of wheat sent
to market, has been estimated at
400,000 bushels, and that of iron at
about 2500 tons. The state of agriculture is respectable and daily improving. The average price of improved lands of the best quality, in
Armagh and Union townships more especially, is about 40 dollars the acre; in
other parts of the county from 25 to
30 dollars the acre. There are no
unimproved lands save the mountains,
and they are of little worth.
The public buildings consist of the
court house and county offices, built of
brick, a prison of stone, an academy
of brick, and the churches we have
Mifflin, Juniata, Huntingdon, Centre and Clearfield counties, form the
12th congressional district, sending 1
member to congress; Mifflin, Juniata,
Huntingdon and Cambria counties, the
17th senatorial district, sending 1
member to senate; Mifflin and Juniata together, elect 2 members to the
house of representatives. Mifflin, Juniata, Huntingdon and Centre, make
the 4th judicial district, over which
Thomas Burnside, Esq. presides.
Post Office / Post Master, 1832|
Allensville, Christopher Horrel |
Belleville, Francis McCoy |
Brown's Mills, John Norris |
East Waterford, Enoch L. Anderson |
Lewistown, M. J. Walters |
McAllesterville, Hugh Wilson |
McVeytown, Richard Miles |
Mexico, James Thompson |
Mifflintown, David Crawford |
Newtown Hamilton, Samuel Thompson |
Oakland Mills, David McClure |
Richfield, John Wallis |
Thompsontown, John McGary |
Tuscarora Valley, James Milliken |
(The) Valley, William Thompson |
Waterloo, William H. Patterson |
Armagh, township, Mifflin co. bounded
N. by the Path Valley mtn. which divides it from Centre co, E. by Union
Co. S. by Jack's mtn. and W. by
Union township. Centrally distant from
Lewistown 12 ins. N. E. Greatest
length 22 ms. breadth 6. Area
66,560 acres; surface mountainous,
with fine valleys; soil in the valleys,
limestone. Taxable pop. 428. The
township is covered with knobs and
ridges, and is drained by the Great
and Little Kishicoquillas creeks,
which unite in a gorge of Jack's
mtn. through which runs the turnpike
road from Lewistown to Bellefonte.
The Kishicoquillas valley extends
nearly half through the township from
W. to E.
Allensville, post office Mifflin co. 84
miles S. W. of Harrisburg.
Belleville, post town Mifflin co. in Union
township, on the E. side of Stone mtn.
169 ms. N. W. from Washington and 77
from Harrisburg, contains 15 or 20
dwellings, 2 stores and 3 taverns.
Brown's Mills, post town Mifflin co. 167
ms. N. W. of Washington 60 from Harrisburg.
Calhounsville, or McAllisterville,
post town, Mifflin co., on the line dividing
Greenwood township from Fermanagh,
about 15 ms. N. E. from Lewistown.
It lies at the foot of a mountain, girded
by Cocalimus and Lost creeks, 158 ms.
from Washington and 51 from Harrisburg.
It is a small place of some half dozen
Decatur, township, Mifflin co. bounded
N. by Armagh township, E. by Union
county, S. by Greenwood township, and
W. by Derry township, centrally distant
N. E. from Lewistown 14 miles;
greatest length 13, breadth 9 miles;
area, 55,680 acres; surface mountainous; soil, slate and gravel. Jack's
mountain is on the N. and Shade's
mountain on the S. boundaries, and
Limestone and Black Oak ridges are
in the interval. Jack's creek has its
source in the N. E. confines of the
township, and flows S. W. about 20 miles
into the Juniata river, about one mile
Derry, township, Mifflin co, bounded
N. E. by Decatur and Fermanagh
townships, S. E. by Milford township, S. W.
by Wayne township, and N. W. by Jacks
mountain, which seperates it from Union and Armagh township; greatest
length 12, breadth 8 miles; area 34,
560 acres. Lewistown, the county
town, lies on the river Juniata, at the
foot of Limestone ridge; north of
which, and S. of Jack's mountain, is
Ferguson's valley. The Kishcoquilla
creek flows S. through the township, into
the river at Lewistown, and Jack's
creek S. W. uniting with the river,
about a mile below the town. The
turnpike road from Duncans island to
Huntingdon, runs W. through the town,
and the turnpike road to Bellefonte,
runs N. from it.
Greenwood, township, Mifflin co. bounded N. by Shade mountain and West
Mahantango creek, which separate it
from Union county, E. by the Susquehannah river, S. by Turkey ridge
which divides it from Perry co. and W.
by Fermanagh township. Centrally distant from Lewiston E. 21 miles;
greatest length 17, breadth 10 miles;
area, 72,320 acres. It is drained S.
by Cocalimus creek which flows into
the Juniata river, and E. by W. Mahantango which runs into the Susquehannah. Turkey valley runs along
the S. boundary on the N. of Turkey
ridge. Ridgeville, post town lies in the N,
part of the township, on the Mahantango
creek, embosomed by mountains, and
Calhounsville, post town, is on the W, line.
Hamiltonville, or Newtown Hamilton,
post town of Wayne township, Mifflin co., upon
the W. bank of the Juniata r., and
upon the state canal, at the S. end of
the Juniata valley, 21 ms. S. W. of
Lewistown, and 10 ms. from Waynes,
burg. The town until the spring of
1828, contained only four huts, since
that time, owing to the impulse given
by the construction of the state canal,
which passes through the town, many
improvements have been made. There
are now here some 20 houses, several
stores and public houses,
Horreltown, Union township, Mifflin co.
lies in the Kishicoquillas valley, contains 25 or 30 houses, 2 taverns and 2
Jack's mountain, a ridge of the Allegheny range, rises in Springfield
township, Huntingdon co. and extends 70
miles, through Centre, Mifflin, and
Union counties, to Penn's creek, near
Jack's creek, rises at the foot of
Jack's mountain on the confines of Decatur township, Mifflin co. and flows S.
W. about 20 miles to the Juniata river, about one mile below Lewiston,
receiving in its course Bell's run and
Kishcoquillas creeks, Big and Little.
The first rises in Armagh township, Mifflin
Co. by several branches, which uniting
near the centre of the township, flow S.
W. along the N. foot of Jack's mountain. The latter rises in Union township,
and flows N. E. along the same side
of the mountain, to meet the first in a
ravine, through which the blended
streams flow S. through Derry township,
to the Juniata river at Lewistown.
They are rapid mountain streams, admirably adapted to mill works, and
have some mills upon them.
Kishcoquillas valley, extends from
the middle of Henderson township, Huntingdon co. N. E. through Union township, Mifflin co. into Armagh township.
It is in length about 26 miles. It is
drained by the Great and Little Kishcoquillas creeks. Bounded E. by
Jack's mountain, by the Stoney and
Lewistown, post town borough and seat of justice
of Mifflin CO. on the N. side of the
Juniata river, and Kishcoquillas creek,
55 miles N. W. of Harrisburg and
162 from Phila., and 154 miles E.
from Pittsburg. The state canal runs through this town, and its citizens appropriately celebrated the opening of the navigation upon it on the 5th
Nov. 1829. The town increases rapidly, and has made great advances since
the adoption by the state of its great
system of canal navigation. The
turnpike road from Duncans Island to
Huntingdon, runs W. through it, and
the turnpike to Bellefonte, in Centre
CO. proceeds N. from it. A copious
mineral spring rises on the farm of J.
Milliken, Esq., adjoining the town.
The town consists of 3 streets, crossed by 4 or 5 others at right angles, and
has about 300 dwellings, many of them
of brick. The court house and public offices, large and commodious of
brick, stand in an open square near
the centre of the town. There are
here 3 churches, several schools,
and an academy.
Limestone ridge, Mifflin county, rises in Wayne township, and runs N. E.
through Derry and Decatur townships, to
the confines of Union county, having
a length of about 32 miles.
Lost creek, Fermanagh township, Mifflin Co, rises in the township by several
branches, and flows into the Juniata r.
about 2 ms. above the t. of Mifflin.
McVeytown, post town of Mifflin Co., 150
miles from Washington
and 66 from Harrisburg.
Mahantango, West, creek, rises on
the confines of Union and Mifflin cos.,
and runs S. W. about 12 miles into
the Susquehannah river, forming in
part the boundary line between the
Mexico, post town of Fermanagh township,
Mifflin Co. on the left bank of the Juniata river, on the state canal and on
the turnpike road leading from Lewiston E. about 16 miles from that town,
147 from Washington, and 40 from Harrisburg, contains between 40 and 50
dwellings, 3 or 4 taverns and 2 stores.
Oakland Mills, post office, Mifflin
Co., 148 ms. from Washington and 41 from
Perrysville, village of Mifflin co.,
consists of about 15 dwellings, 1 tavern, and 2 or 3 stores.
Richfield, post office, Mifflin co., 168 ms.
N. W. from W. C, and 61 from Harrisburg.
Ridgeville, post town, Greenwood township,
Mifflin Co., on the S. side of W. Mahantango creek, embosomed by mtns.,
and on the road from Calhounsville to
Selin's grove, about 25 ms. N. E. of
Thompsonstown, post town, Fermanagh
township, Mifflin co., on the Juniata r.
and state canal, and on the turnpike
road leading from Lewistown eastward, and about 25 ms. from that
town; 141 ms. from W. C, and 34
from Harrisburg; contain between
40 and 50 dwellings, 3 taverns and
2 or 3 stores.
Tuscarora mountain, a noted ridge,
of the Appalachian system, which
may be considered as commencing at
the Potomac river in Maryland, and
running N. E. near 70 miles, forms
the E. boundary of Bedford, Huntingdon and Mifflin counties.
Tuscarora, township, Mifflin co., formerly a part of Lack township; surface
mountainous; soil, in the valleys,
limestone; pop. in 1830, 827; taxables in 1828, 195.
Valley, (the), post office of Mifflin co., 171
ms. from Washington, and 64 from Harrisburg.
Walker, township, Mifflin co.; surface
mountainous, with fine valleys,in which
is a productive limestone soil. Pop.
in 1830, 1379; taxables in 1828, 401.
Wayne, township, Milllin co., bounded
in. R. by Derry and Milford townships,
S. E. by Lack township, and by the Juniata r., which also bounds it on the S.
and S. W., separating it from Huntingdon CO., N. W. by Jack's mtn.
which divides it from that co. and
from Union township.
The Juniata r. running N. W., divides
the township into two unequal parts. On
the E. side, nearly parallel with the
r., runs Blue ridge. On the W., between the r. and Limestone ridge, is
the Juniata valley, and between Limestone ridge and Jack's mtn. are Long
Hollow, and Ferguson's valley. The
turnike road join Lewistown to Huntingdon, runs S. W, through the township.
On the road, and on the W. bank of
the river, and on the state canal, lies the post town of Waynesburg. Hamiltonville lies in the south part of the township.
Waynesburg, town, Wayne township,
Mifflin CO., on the W. bank of the
Juniata r., on the state canal, and on
the turnpike road leading from Lewistown to Huntingdon, in the Juniata
valley, and 11 ms, S. W. of Lewistown; contains 25 or 30 dwellings, 1
Presbyterian church, 5 stores, 5 taverns, and 1 grist mill.
Mifflin County, PA AGHP
© 2012 Mifflin County Pennsylvania AHGP