Mifflin County Family Files
Yeager Family of Mifflin County
John Jacob Yeager, the second son of John Yeager,
son of Andrew, was born March 11th, 1793, in Dauphin
county. He served in the War of 1812, and in 1830 secured
from the Patent Office in Washington a patent for a moldboard of a plow. This mold-board has been universally
used throughout the United States.
John Jacob Yeager (1793-1869)
from whom the village of Yeagertown derives its name
Jacob Yeager was married in 1815 to Susanna Fisher,
nee Buffington. They had eight children, of whom Jeremiah
M. was the youngest. Jacob Yeager moved from Dauphin
county to Derry township, Mifflin county, in 1842. As he
had a large family and purchased an extensive tract of land
including a flour mill on the banks of the Kishacoquillas
the little village was given the name of Yeagertown.
In 1859 the old mill which had been erected in 1795,
was torn down and a new mill was built, Jacob's youngest
son, Jeremiah M., becoming proprietor. He was twice married. His first marriage, to Mary Jane Creighton, took place
December 25, 1854. Miss Creighton was of Scotch, Scotch-Irish and Welsh ancestry. From this union there were three
sons: William Jacob, born November 7, 1855; James Martin, born November 2, 1857; Jesse Orin, born May 11, 1864.
Mrs. Mary J. Yeager died March 22, 1873, and was
buried in the M. E. cemetery at Vira, Penna.
Jeremiah M. Yeager was married again December 22,
1874, to Mrs. Anna Maria (Mann) Brisbin, a daughter of
Wm. Mann, founder of the Mann Axe and Tool Works near
Lewistown, Pa. Her ancestry is English and Irish. The
only child of this marriage now living is Mrs. Charles A.
(Bertha Mann) Rice of Reedsville, Pa.
Jeremiah Yeager (1832-1906)
Jeremiah M. Yeager died December 30, 1906. The funeral services were in charge of his pastor, the Rev. John T.
Fell, of the Yeagertown Methodist Episcopal Church, assisted by the Rev. A. Spangler, D. D, pastor for many years
of the Yeagertown Lutheran Church; the Rev. E. Yocum,
D. D., of the Lewistown M. E. Church, the Rev. S. G.
Shannon, a Lutheran minister and warm personal friend of
Mr. Yeager's of Norwood, Penna. Mr. Shannon spoke in
part as follows:
"In the removal of Jeremiah M. Yeager I have lost one
of my best friends on earth. An acquaintance formed thirty-five years ago, immediately ripened with friendship — a
friendship which never was broken. He was a man of
positive character, high ideals, and a nature deeply imbued
with the spirit of the Golden Rule. He was an honored
member of the Methodist Episcopal church for many years,
a broad minded, liberal hearted Christian man; beloved as
a citizen, scrupulously honest in his business transactions,
and commanded the full confidence of all who knew him.
His motives were high, his ideals were lofty and his life
squared with both. He believed in the great verities of the
Christian religion ; and at the close of a long and useful life
he calmly passed last Sabbath evening into the larger life as
quietly as one "who wraps the drapery of his couch about
him and lies down to pleasant dreams." He will be long
missed and long remembered."
He was buried in the Hill Cemetery, near Reedsville.
His sons W. J., James M. and J. O.; his two step-sons, Dr.
Chas. H. Brisbin and Wm. M. Brisbin, and his son-in-law,
Chas. A. Rice, bore him tenderly to his resting-place.
Herman V. Yeager
Herman V. Yeager, son of Charles M. Yeager, and
grand-son of William Yeager, was born in Mifflinburg,
Union County, Pa., in 1885.
He evidently displayed a musical nature very young,
for while still in knickerbockers at the age of six, he practiced
on the piano, while his boy companions were calling him to
come out and play with them.
Herman V. Yeager
He studied with one teacher after another, developing
his musical knowledge throughout his school days. After
his musical career had been decided upon, he entered the
New England Conservatory of Music, Boston, Massachusetts, where he settled down to real work. He finished his
studies there in 1903. After directing an Orchestra in Boston, he played in several theatres through the East. Finally, he
went to Harrisburg, where he has been conducting the Orchestra in the Orpheum Theatre since 1908. In addition to
his work there, he does a great deal of music writing, composing, arranging for orchestra, etc. For several summers
he has had charge of the music at the Forrest Inn, Eagles
Mere, Pa. He is, probably, the youngest musical director
in the United States, in any Theatre playing first-class
Portions of the above were taken from "A Brief History of the Yeager Family and The Collateral Kindred,"
Hon. James Martin Yeager, D. D., 1912
Mifflin County, PA AGHP
© 2012 Mifflin County Pennsylvania AHGP