Mifflin County History
Granville Township
"A History of the Juniata Valley and Its People," John W. Jordan, 1913


Granville township is first mentioned in the public records at the April sessions of the court in 1838, when it was erected from the western part of Derry. At that time there were 203 taxpayers living within its limits. The principal manufacturing concerns were a tan-yard, an iron furnace, four saw-mills, two grist-mills, a carding machine and a still-house. The first settlers in the township were William and James Armstrong. A land warrant was issued to William Armstrong on February 3, 1755, the day the land office opened for business, and James Armstrong received a warrant dated April 10, 1755, for 282 acres. Settlement was retarded by the French and Indian war for several years, but in 1762 Thomas Holt took out a warrant for 400 acres of land near the junction of Brightfield's run and the Juniata river. Four years later he purchased other lands. Rev. Charles Beatty stopped at Mr. Holt's house in August, 1766, while on his missionary tour through the Juniata valley. In 1798 Holt's heirs sold the greater part of the estate to William Lewis, who erected the old Hope furnace soon after becoming the owner of the land. James Brown also received a warrant in 1762 for 136 acres. On October 30, 1765, Joseph Swift took up 400 acres; on April 9, 1766, 300 acres, and on August 4, 1766, 300 acres, making 1,000 acres in all, but he never became a resident of the township, his lands being purchased for speculative purposes only. In 1766 Ephraim Blaine, of Carlisle, received a warrant for 250 acres, and in August of that year Isaac Strode located on 300 acres on Brightfield's (now Strode's run). Thomas Evans took up 248 acres in August, 1767. and the same year James Gemmel received a warrant for 300 acres. James Lyon, who came from Ireland in 1763, located near the present railroad station of Anderson in 1768, where he entered 200 acres of land.

Other pioneers were George Bratton. John Cever, Charles Magill, Abraham Miller, Thomas Martin, James Edwards and the Baums. Most of the early settlers located along the foot of the mountain or near the Juniata river. In October, 1777, James Armstrong sold a tract of land, who purchased other land adjoining and established a tavern which was widely known as the "Rob Roy." It was afterward kept for some time by Abraham Hufferd, who purchased it after Steel's death in 1821.

The first school house of which any authentic information can be gained was about where the village of Granville now stands. It was a log house, built at an early date on the farm later owned by F. A. McCoy, and was used as a school house until about 1840, when it was torn down and a better one erected near the site. Most of the early school houses were built by the cooperation of the citizens and no record of their location has been preserved. In 1912 Granville had a township high school and fourteen teachers were employed in the several districts.

Granville township is bounded on the northeast by Derry; on the southeast by Juniata county, from which it is separated by the Blue Ridge; on the southwest by Bratton and Oliver townships, and on the northwest by Brown and Union. The Juniata river runs through it, and following the course of the river is the main line of the Pennsylvania railroad, Granville and Anderson being the two railway stations in the township.



Return to Mifflin County, PA AGHP



2012 Mifflin County Pennsylvania AHGP