Mifflin County History
Menno Township
"A History of the Juniata Valley and Its People," John W. Jordan, 1913


Menno township was erected at the same time as Brown and in response to the same petition, the order of the court being issued at the January term in 1837. The viewers appointed at the April term in 1836 made a report the following July, with which report they submitted a map or plat, describing Menno township as "six and a half miles in length and the average width from the summit of each mountain four miles." It was named after Simon Menno, the founder of the Mennonite society. Originally it was a part of Derry, but was cut off with Armagh in 1770 and remained as part of that township until the formation of Union in 1790, when it became the western part of that township. It lies north of Jack's mountain and is bounded on the northeast by Union township; on the southeast by OHver, and on the west and northwest by Huntingdon county. Kishacoquillas creek rises in this township.

As early as 1754 Alexander Torrentine and Robert Brotherton visited the upper Kishacoquillas valley in search of land, and as soon as the land office was opened the following year they took out warrants and settled in what is now Menno township. The first religious services at which a regular preacher officiated were held at the house of Robert Brotherton some years later. Other pioneers were Matthew Kenney, Hugh McClellan, Samuel Gilmore, John McDowell, John Wilson, the Allisons Joseph, James and Robert Joseph Kyle and Henry McConkey. For services rendered at the grand council with the Indians, held at Easton in October, 1758, several tracts of land were granted to Andrew Montour, one of which, called "Sharron," was where the village of Allenville is now located. It contained over 1,700 acres, and was surveyed in May, 1767, more than a year before it was granted to Montour. Subsequently it became the property of Rev. Richard Peters, whose executors sold it to Benjamin Chew, who obtained a patent for it dated September 3, 1796.

Nothing can be learned of the early schools. In 1834, when the present public school system was inaugurated, there were four school houses in the township, to wit: one at Yoder's, near the county line; one at King's, east of Allenville; one at Wilson's, and one near the "Brick Church." In 1912 Menno had a township high school, and in the several districts there were employed seven teachers.



Return to Mifflin County, PA AGHP



2012 Mifflin County Pennsylvania AHGP