M. Baumgardner, son of Michael and Barbara Long Baumgardner of Wharton
Township, Fayette County, PA, and the oldest of five brothers to enter
taught school in Fayette County and served in the 97th PA Regiment
during the Civil War. Entering the ministry for the United
Evangelical Church in 1869, he pastored in West Virginia, Ohio and in
the oil regions of Pennsylvania.