DAVID D. LEBERMAN was born May 16th, 1841, at “Monroe Forge,”
Lebanon Co., Penn’a. He received the usual common school education
then obtainable; and in connection therewith a good moral and religious
home training. From the age of 14 to 16 years he taught in the Swatara
district of the public schools of Lebanon county, Pa.
In 1857, the subject of this sketch
entered “Swatara Institute,” in this same county, then under the
care of the late Prof. I. D. Rupp.
From July 4th, 1859 to
November 8th, 1860, he was engaged with the late J. H. Cowden, as
bookkeeper and general office clerk for the Union Canal Company at Pine
Grove, Schuylkill Co., Pa. In this office he continued the pursuit of
languages and other studies. In the fall of the year 1860 he came to
Meadville. Here, under the instructions of his uncle, L. D. Leberman,
his studies were continued, adding such branches as were calculated to
fit him for entering a Theological Seminary. Accordingly, in the spring
of the year of 1861, he matriculated at the Theological Seminary located
at Puffin, Seneca Co. Ohio, under the care of the Ohio Synod of the
Reformed Church in the United States. At this place the usual
theological course was pursued, and in the spring of the year 1864 he
graduated from this Institution, being the first student who had taken a
full course in the same. In May, 1864, he was examined and licensed to
preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, at a meeting of St. Paul’s Classis,
then in annual session; and in the month of July, of the same year, he
was ordained to the holy ministry, in, (what is now), the Lutheran
Church, on Pine street, near the German Catholic Church, Meadville.
His first charge was in Titusville, (then
a missionary point in the bounds of the St. Paul’s Classis), and here
he remained ten months, when he was suddenly stricken down by a severe
illness, from which it was thought he would never again rally.
Since October, 1867,
he has been pastor of St. Paul’s Reform Church, Meadville, Pa.; and
though at times still suffering from effects of said sickness, he has,
with only a few intermissions of short intervals, filled the appointment
pertaining to this work.
For the last five
years he has been the Secretary of the Board of Education, of Meadville;
also, for the same period, the Stated Clerk of St. Paul’s Classis.
Directory of Crawford
County, 1879-80, page 244