Francis X. Traxler

 

Rev. Francis X. Traxler, pastor of the church of the Holy Cross, at Spangler, is a son of Joseph and Mary (Schreiner) Traxier, and was born at Ploess, on the boundary line between the kingdom of Bavaria, Germany, and the province of Bohemia, Austro-Hungary, on June 21, 1860. He was reared at his native place until he had reached his fourteenth year, when he came to the United States, landing at New York City July 4, 1874. In a short time be came to western Pennsylvania and entered St. Vincent's college at Latrobe, Westmoreland county, where he applied himself to classical and theological studies. After ten years he graduated, and on June 20, 1884, was ordained to the priest-hood by Rt. Rev. Tobia Mullen, D.D. Immediately after ordination he was made a pastor of a small Catholic congregation at Blue Island, Illinois, near Chicago. There he ministered for eighteen months, and then was transferred to Allegheny City, this State, where he served as pastor of St. Wenceslas church for nine years. At the end of that time, in 1895, he became the first resident pastor of the church of the Holy Cross, at Spangler, where he has been laboring ever since.

 

Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Cambria County, 1896

 

All documents, photos, materials and graphics contained in the Men of the Cloth pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space  provided by Rootsweb and historicpa.net.
Old Photos & Genealogy Blog familyoldphotos.com historicpa.net
  old-yearbooks.com gendisasters.com
Copyright 2002-2007, All rights reserved.