Rev. George McCleery, was a native of Ireland, who immigrated to Coitsville, Mahoning Co., Ohio, in 1817-18, where he married Mary Beggs, a native of Washington County, Penn., whose parents removed to Coitsville when she was an infant. After their marriage they located in Hubbard, Ohio, and in 1820 settled on the farm where our subject now lives. During the early portion of his life Rev. McCleery preached the gospel for the Baptists through this valley. He also preached two years in Butler County, besides devoting his time to school teaching. In 1828 he united with the Disciples, and preached for that church, more or less, the balance of his days. About 1830 he commenced the practice of medicine, and continued in that profession up to November 13, 1843, when he died, aged fifty-four years.
Rev. McCleery reared nine children: James, Nancy (widow of Henry Dunham), Joseph J., Rainey, Mary S. (deceased), Lorinda (wife of Jesse Dunlap, of Washington Territory,) Adaline, Corydon and Sarah (wife of David Hopkins, of Illinois).
Mrs. McCleery died September 18, 1877, in the faith of the Disciple Church, aged eighty-three years.
History of Mercer County, 1888, pages 739-740