HENRY L. MAYERS.
who has grown in favor and confidence with his people by his earnestness
of purpose and the integrity of his character is Rev. Henry L. Mayers,
the present pastor of the First Presbyterian church of Kittanning.
born at Millersburgh, Ohio, December 29, 1847, and is a son of Lewis and
Sarah Wheaton Mayers.
Mayers was born in Wurmz, Germany, October, 1811, and died at
Millersburgh, Ohio, August 1, 1883, aged 72 years. He was a worthy
representative of the industrious and progressive German race which has
become so powerful in the world during the last two centuries. He
settled in 1837 at Millersburgh, where he was engaged in the dry goods
business until 1873, when he organized "The Exchange bank," of
which he was a large stockholder. He was elected annually as president
of that bank, from its organization until his death, in 1883. He was a
remarkably successful business man, a public-spirited citizen in every
way and an influential member of the Presbyterian church, to which he
was always a liberal contributor.
married Sarah Wheaton, who is a daughter of Anson Melvin Wheaton, a
teacher and noted surveyor of Ohio. They reared and educated a family of
seven sons and four daughters, all of whom are living and in good
circumstances. Six of these sons are successful business men.
L. Mayers received his elementary education in private schools at
Millersburgh and spent four years at Vermillion Institute, Haysville,
Ohio, where he prepared for college. In 1868 he entered the sophomore
class of Princeton college, from which he was graduated in the class of
1871. He took high ranks as a speaker and literary man, being a junior
orator prize-man, and carrying off a Whig Hall medal. He prepared for
the ministry at Princeton Theological seminary, from which he was
graduated in April, 1874. He was licensed by the presbytery of New
Brunswick, New Jersey, April 1874. His first charge was at Millville,
N. J., where he remained for five years. His health then becoming
impaired, he resigned his charge, and was not in regular pastoral work
for two years. At the end of that time, having recovered his health in a
large measure, he accepted a call, in March, 1881, from the First
Presbyterian church of Kittanning, and has served as its pastor ever
July 22, 1874, he married Margaret Phillips, a daughter of Lewis and
Eliza Phillips, of Lawrenceville, New Jersey. Rev. and Mrs. Mayers were
the parents of three children: Eliza Phillips, Lewis Deare and John
Mickle. Mrs. Mayers was greatly beloved by their congregation, was an
intelligent and amiable woman; but her stay on earth was limited to a
few brief years, and she passed to her eternal home on March 10, 1887.
Henry L. Mayers is an able and eloquent advocate of the doctrines and
the teachings of the time-honored old Presbyterian church, in which he
is an efficient and successful worker. He is worthily treading in the
footsteps of those grand old ministers who helped establish Presbyterianism
in Western Pennsylvania. His congregation is one of the largest in he
community, and they worship in one of the finest church buildings in the
and Historical Cyclopedia of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, 1891, pages