Henry Voegele

 

REV. HENRY VOEGELE was born in Jackson township, Butler County, Pennsylvania, March 6, 1842. His parents were Frederick and Catherine (Sweitzer) Voegele, natives of Alsace, Germany, who immigrated to Pennsylvania about 1833, and settled at Harmony, Butler county. His father was a weaver, and followed that business here about two years, then purchased a farm, in Jackson township, where Philip Voegele now lives, upon which he resided down to his death, in 1876. His widow survived him until the spring of 1886. Their children were as follows: Philip and Frederick, both of whom are dead; Catherine, wife of Philip Wolfe; Margaret, wife of Gottlieb Henzel; Philip, and Henry. His was a member of the Lutheran church, and contributed towards the erection of the first building at Zelienople. The subject of this sketch received his primary education in the public schools, subsequently attended Union College, Queensburg, Ohio, and studied theology with the Rev. Lewis Troutman, of Canton, Ohio. Mr. Voegele was called to the Boliver charge, in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, in 1868; was licensed at Ashland, Ohio, the same year, and in 1869, was ordained at Wooster, Ohio. He spent two years at Bolivar, and then became pastor at Canton, where he continued as pastor for thirteen years. His next charge was St. John's German Lutheran church, Pulaski county, Indiana, were he remained two and a half years, and then became pastor of St. Martin's church, LeRoy, New York, where he continued to preach for three years. In 1890 he accepted a call from St. Peter's Evangelical Union church, of Evans City, and also of Zion Evangelical Lutheran church, at Mount Hope. Mr. Voegele was married in 1869, to Lydia, daughter of Samuel Weidman, of Stark county, Ohio. In 1887 he was married the second time to Lucindy D. Sailer, of Le Roy, New York, which union has been blessed by three children: Elizabeth C.; Charley F., and Margaret Mary. He is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod, of Pittsburgh, and is well know in his church throughout western Pennsylvania. He supports the Republican party, and takes quite and active interest in public affairs.

History of Butler County, 1895, page 1111

 

All documents, photos, materials and graphics contained in the Men of the Cloth pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space  provided by Rootsweb and historicpa.net.
Old Photos & Genealogy Blog familyoldphotos.com historicpa.net
  old-yearbooks.com gendisasters.com
Copyright 2002-2007, All rights reserved.