Search billions of records on


John Brice


The Rev. John Brice was a native of Hartford county, Maryland, and received his education under the direction of Rev. Joseph Smith.  He studied Theology partly under Mr. Smith, and partly under Mr. Dodd.  He and James Hughes, were students together at Mr. Smith's and were licensed together, April 15, 1788, by the Presbytery of Redstone.  By the same Presbytery, he was ordained and installed pastor of the congregations of Three Ridges and the Forks of Wheeling, April 22d, 1790.  When the Presbytery of Ohio was formed in 1793, he was one of its original members.  In the above named congregations, he labored until the year 1807, when, on account of ill health, the pastoral relation between him and them dissolved.  He still continued, however, to preach the gospel in the destitute regions of Greene county, Pennsylvania, and in the adjacent parts of Virginia, and as often as health would permit, until the 18th of April 1810, when he was dismissed to connect himself with the Presbytery of Lancaster.  He died the next year - August 26th, 1811 - aged fifty one years.


He was a man of nervous temperament, subject occasionally to great despondency of mind, but deep piety.  His labours were attended with a divine blessing, and many rich fruits of his ministry have appeared since his decease, both in his former charge and in the country adjacent.


The late Rev. John Brice M'Coy, of the Presbytery of Washington, who died at Wheeling, October 18th, 1841, was his grandson.


The life of the Rev. Elisha Macurdy, pages 304 - 305


In 1790 a call was made for the pastoral labors of Rev. John Brice. In April of that year he was ordained and installed over the church [Presbyterian Church of West Alexander, Donegal township, Washington County]. Being unable to support a minister the entire time, it was connected with the church of the Forks of Wheeling, each having the services of the pastor half of the time. This connection continued until 1814, when, through the increase of numbers and means, it was able to support a minister the whole time. This the first pastorate continued till 1807, when Mr. Brice, through infirmities of age, resigned the charge. He died in 1811.


History of Washington County, PA, 1882, page 750



All documents, photos, materials and graphics contained in the Men of the Cloth pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space  provided by Rootsweb and
Old Photos & Genealogy Blog
Copyright 2002-2007, All rights reserved.