Francis Regis Canevin
REV. JOHN FRANCIS REGIS CANEVIN, Bishop of Pittsburg, was born in
Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, June 5, 1853. He spent his early
youth at St. Xavier's, Beatty, Pa., and also at New Castle, his uncle
being then a pastor of one of the city churches.
Bishop Canevin was educated at
St. Vincent College and Seminary, Beatty, Pa., and was ordained a priest
at St. Paul's Cathedral, Pittsburg, January 4, 1879. His first appointment
was as assistant at St. Mary's, Lawrenceville, where he remained two
years. Then he was assigned as an assistant at the Cathedral, August 1,
1881, where he remained five years. In 1886 he was given charge of St.
Paul's Orphan Asylum, State Reformatory at Morganza, Western Penitentiary,
together with the Mission at Canonsburg. In June, 1891, he was appointed
Chancellor of the Diocese, in 1893 pastor of St. Philip's, Crafton; in
March, 1895, returning as pastor to the Cathedral.
Bishop Canevin was consecrated
Coadjutor-Bishop of Pittsburg by the Most Reverend Patrick J. Ryan,
Archbishop of Philadelphia, February 24, 1903, and became Bishop at
Pittsburg at the death of Bishop Phelan, December 21, 1904.
Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, pages 803