John S. McKee

 

REV. JOHN S. MC KEE, pastor of the United Presbyterian church of Butler, was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, June 22, 1850. His grandfather, David McKee, was born in County Down, Ireland, about 1797, was a carpenter by trade, and came of Presbyterian stock. He married a Miss Donnan, and died in 1869, aged seventy-two years. His wife survived him until 1872, dying at the ripe old age of eighty-two years. They were the parents of six children: William S.; Mrs. Jane Wilson; Mrs. Ann Stewart McKee; Mary; David, and Alexander D. William S., the eldest of the family, and father of our subject, was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1824, learned the carpenter's trade in his native land, and came to America in 1844. He settled in Pittsburg, where he was engaged in contracting and building for a great many years but in 1886 he removed to Denver, Colorado, where he continued the same business. He died June 18, 1894. He was twice married; first to Elizabeth Shields of Pittsburg, in 1849, to whom were born five children, only two of whom grew to maturity: John S., and William G. The mother died in 1859, and in 1862 he married Miss Jane Cox, to whom were born six children: Elizabeth, deceased; Thomas C., an architect; David, deceased; Heberton N.; Harry C., and Alexander A. The parents were members of the United Presbyterian church, in which denomination Mr. McKee filled the office of ruling elder.

The subject of this sketch received his primary education in the common schools, afterwards attended East Liberty Academy, and the Western University, and graduated from the latter institution in 1869. He then entered the United Presbyterian Theological Seminary, in Allegheny City, where he was graduated in 1873, and subsequently spent one year in the Free Church College, Edinburgh, Scotland. Mr. McKee was licensed to preach the gospel June 24, 1873, by the Monongahela Presbytery, and was ordained and installed pastor of East Brady Congregation October 19, 1875. He remained with that charge until 1880, when he received a call from the United Presbyterian church of Mercer, Pennsylvania, which he accepted, and was pastor of that church until October 1, 1884. On that date he received and accepted a call from the United Presbyterian church of Butler, and for the past ten years has ministered to that congregation. Under his pastorate the church has prospered both materially and spiritually, the beautiful new church building recently erected being evidence of the prosperity of this congregation. Mr. McKee is an ardent Prohibitionist in politics, and has always taken an active and prominent part in fighting intemperance and in trying to obtain anti-liquor legislation. Mr. McKee married Sophia M., a daughter of Robert and Mary S. Templeton, of East Brady, Pennsylvania, in June, 1878, and has one child, Jeannie E. He is one of the best known and most popular ministers in Butler county.

History of Butler County, 1895, pages 801-802 

 

All documents, photos, materials and graphics contained in the Men of the Cloth pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space  provided by Rootsweb and historicpa.net.
Old Photos & Genealogy Blog familyoldphotos.com historicpa.net
  old-yearbooks.com gendisasters.com
Copyright 2002-2007, All rights reserved.