Rev. Joseph Shaw was
... educated at Franklin College, studied theology privately, was licensed May 29, 1839, by the Reformed Dissenting Presbytery, and ordained and installed in 1840. In April, 1843, he and a majority of the congregation withdrew from the communion of the Reformed Dissenting Presbytery and united with the Associate Church, which was the beginning of the Associate congregation of West Alexander.
When Mr. Shaw joined the Associate Church the validity of his ordination was called in question because the Presbytery which had ordained him was composed of only one minister and two ruling elders. The Associate Synod, however, decided that the ordination, although irregular, was valid. He remained pastor of the congregation
[of the United Presbyterian Church of West
Alexander, Donegal township, Washington County] until Oct. 5, 1852, when he resigned. In the spring of 1853 he moved to Bellefontaine, Ohio, where he united with the Presbyterian Church, and conducted a High School. He died in December, 1875.
of Washington County, PA, 1882, page 751