Luke J. Wasson

 

REV. LUKE J. WASSON was born in the County Antrim, Ireland, October, 1846, the youngest in a family of six children of Hugh and Elizabeth (McQeety) Wasson. The family emigrated to this country when he was two years old, and settled in the township of Robinson, Washington Co., where both his father and mother died.

He received his academic education at Cander, where he prepared for the Junior Class in Jefferson College, which he entered in 1863, and was graduated from that institution in 1865, he prosecuted his theological studies at the Western Theological Seminary, Allegheny City, from which institution he was graduated in 1868. He was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Allegheny City. Soon after leaving the seminary he received a call as pastor to the church of Long's Run, at Calcutta, Columbiana Co., Ohio. After preaching there one year, during. which time (April 26, 1869) he was ordained by the Presbytery of New Lisbon, he returned the call as not accepted.

June, 1870, he united with the Pittsburgh Presbytery, and was installed pastor of the church of Fairview Oct. 12, 1870, from which he was released on account of ill health April, 1873. During the early part of that summer he went west in the expectation of regaining his health, but while at Minneapolis was suddenly called by the Master to his reward June 13, 1873, in twenty-sixth year of his age.

He was united in marriage to Jennie daughter of James and Esther (Watson) Crawford, Nov. 5, 1868, the year he began his ministerial labors. Mrs. Wasson was a descendant on her mother's side of the Watson family. William Watson, her great-grandfather, was a soldier in the war of the Revolution. He emigrated from County Down, Ireland, first settled in Lancaster County, and was one of the first settlers in the "backwoods," Washington County. Her mother is the only representative of the Watson family living. Alice G. and Frances C. are the only children of the Rev. and Mrs. Wasson. We cannot more appropriately close this brief sketch than by quoting the following, taken from the minutes passed Sept. 24, 1873, by the Pittsburgh Presbytery:  "As a man he was much respected; as a laborer for Christ he was diligent and consecrated; and as a preacher earnest and successful. Among his late parishioners his character and ministry are held in fond and grateful remembrance."

History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men, 1882 

 

All documents, photos, materials and graphics contained in the Men of the Cloth pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space  provided by Rootsweb and historicpa.net.
Old Photos & Genealogy Blog familyoldphotos.com historicpa.net
  old-yearbooks.com gendisasters.com
Copyright 2002-2007, All rights reserved.