Rev. M. H. Calkins, D. D. for over twenty-five years held forth the word of life to the Central Church of New Castle. His life was a power for good in that city. He stood as a wall of adamant against all evildoing. His genial radiant face brought sunshine and gladness to many hearts. Along by his side stood the faithful, earnest, consecrated pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, Rev. C. H. Dunlap. D. D. For more than a decade and a half he sounded forth peal after peal of the gospel trumpet in the clear, ringing notes of the old-fashioned gospel of Jesus Christ. Only eternity will reveal the influence for good these men of God exerted in this central city of Our Presbytery.
One Hundred Years of the Shenango Presbytery, 1809-1908, page 57