MATTHEW S. ADAMS is an active business man and a useful citizen
of Parker City, who enjoys the respect and goodwill of his fellowmen.
Rev. Matthew S. Adams is a prominent local minister in the Methodist
Episcopal church. He was born near New Salem, Westmoreland county,
Pennsylvania, May 23, 1820, and is a son of Rev. Alexander and Esther (Armantage)
Adams. Rev. Alexander Adams was of English descent. He was born in
Bedford county, in 1776, removed to Westmoreland county, where he
remained until 1823, when he came to the mouth of Cowanshannock Creek
(above Kittanning) and engaged in milling. He afterwards removed, about
1849, to Butler county, in which he died in September, 1859, aged
eighty-three years. He was a local minister in the Methodist Episcopal
church and lived an exemplary Christian life. He married Esther
Armantage, who was a daughter of Benjamin Armantage, of Bedford county,
and died in January, 1828, aged thirty-eight years. She was a member of
the Methodist Episcopal church and left, at her death, a family of ten
children, of whom three are living: Matthew S. Adams, Alexander Adams
and Sarah Milligan.
Matthew S. Adams was
reared principally in Armstrong county, where he received his education
in the rural schools of his boyhood days. In 1844 he removed to
Fairview, Butler county, where in the same year he embarked in the
foundry business. Six years later he engaged in the mercantile business
and conducted both his foundry and store until 1854, when he went seven
miles north to Fairview and purchased Maple furnace, which he operated
up to the fall of 1865. His iron was of good quality and in much demand.
He hauled it to Parker's Landing, on the Allegheny river, and from
thence transported it on flat-boats to Pittsburgh. In connection with
the furnace he had a large store. In 1868 he engaged in oil production
at Pit Hole and Parker's Landing. He has continued these different lines
of business successfully until the present time, and during several
years of this period was one of the heaviest oil producers in Armstrong
county. He came, in 1870, to Parker City, where he owns the Adams House
and has considerable other property. He also owns a farm of five hundred
acres in Butler county, on which is situated a flouring-mill.
June 3, 1841, Mr. Adams
united in marriage with Nancy A. Scott, of Brady's Bend, Armstrong
County, Pa. They have had eight children: Angie E., married to W. D.
Blygh, of Grove City, who is engaged in the drug business; Mary E.,
married to W. J. Parker, who is engaged in the hotel business at Parker
City; Edwin D., who is engaged in the hotel business at Parker City;
Libbie E., wife of J. S. Foster, a druggist of Petrolia, Butler county,
this State; James T., engaged in the oil business in Warren county; and
Charles W., now in the oil business in Butler county, and Homer C. and
Theodore L., who are both dead. Mrs. Adams was a member of the M. E.
church for forty years and passed away October 10, 1889, aged sixty-nine
years and one month.
In politics Rev. Matthew
Adams is a republican. He commenced his career in life with nothing but
good health, unbounded energy and inflexible honesty, and as success
crowned his different business enterprises, he was enabled to wield a
wider influence for morality and Christianity. He employed a large
number of hands at different times in the iron business, but always saw
that they were rightly dealt with in his iron-works. He is
public-spirited and charitable, always willing to assist in any movement
for the benefit of his city and ever ready to aid the sick and needy. He
is a member of the Masonic fraternity and has been a local minister in
the Methodist Episcopal church for over thirty years. Rev. Matthew S.
Adams, amid all the cares of various business enterprises, has preserved
his reputation for honesty, integrity and morality, and has never
neglected the cause of religion, but has valued it above all others.
and Historical Cyclopedia of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, 1891, pages