Michael A. Miller

REV. MICHAEL A. MILLER. Although a young man in years, Rev. Michael A. Miller, pastor of the St. Bartholomew Roman Catholic church in Sharpsville. has performed a wonderful work in the upbuilding of his parish here and is now engaged in the erection of what when completed will be one of the finest, if not the finest, church edifice in Mercer county. He was born in Archibald, Pennsylvania, and was educated in the public schools of the same town. He began his collegiate studies in St. Xavier College, Cincinnati, Ohio, and finished in St. Bonaventure College and Seminary, Alleghany, New York. In Erie, this state, in April, 1895, he was ordained to the priesthood by the late Bishop Mullen for the Diocese of Erie, and on the 19th of April, 1901, he came to Sharpsville and entered upon his duties as rector of St. Bartholomew's church, after a seven years' pastorate he began on the 8th of June, 1908, the erection of a new church building of stone and Devonshire brick, and the corner stone was laid in August of the same year. Three carloads of cement was used in the foundation, no lime having been used in the work within six feet above the ground, and when completed the building will have a seating capacity of five hundred.


St. Bartholomew's Roman Catholic church of Sharpsville was organized many Years ago and the first priest to say mass was Father J. J. McManus, in 1875. From 1872 to this time the people of this community had attended mass at Hickory Corners, this having been a branch of the special mission at Sharon. Since Father McManus's time mass has been said by the following priests: Father Coonan, who came February 24. 1877: Patrick Cosgroves, in 1878; John McEntee, in October, 1879, and T. J. Clark, in May, 1886. The church with all its records was burned in 1886, and it was rebuilt of brick. It was presided over by Patrick McGovern from October 8, 1889: Edward J. McGinley, from June. 1890: John P. McCoskey, from April, 1897; and he was followed by the loved and honored Father Miller on the 19th of April, 1901.

Twentieth Century History of Mercer County, 1909, page 647

 

All documents, photos, materials and graphics contained in the Men of the Cloth pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space  provided by Rootsweb and historicpa.net.
Old Photos & Genealogy Blog familyoldphotos.com historicpa.net
  old-yearbooks.com gendisasters.com
Copyright 2002-2007, All rights reserved.