Patrick Aloysius Dooley

 

REV. FATHER PATRICK ALOYSIUS DOOLEY, under whose pastorate St. Monica's Church, at Wampum, Pa., has developed into an active and potent factor in the accomplishment of good in the community, has been a resident of Wampum since 1902. He was born in County Kilkenny, Ireland, and is a son of Michael and Ellen (Murphy) Dooley.

Michael Dooley, who is now deceased, owned and cultivated a farm at the edge of the town of Castlecomer, in County Kilkenny. He was a man whose chief interest centered in his family, and he labored to give his children superior educational advantages. Neither he nor his wife ever lived in this country, although Mrs. Dooley has been to America on a visit. They reared a family of nine children, all of whom are still living, as follows: Thomas; Catherine, wife of M. J. Doyle, both she and her husband being principals of schools in Ireland; Michael; John; Rev. Patrick Aloysius; Margaret, wife of Abraham Cody; Edward, who was the only one of the family, aside from Rev. Father Dooley, to come to the United States; Mary; and Nora, who also is principal of a school in her native land.

Father Dooley attended the local schools at Castlecomer, which he entered at a youthful age, and at the age of fourteen years he began teaching, receiving his pay from the Government. He continued about two years, and in his fifteenth year entered St. Kieran's College, at Killkenny. Two years later he entered St. John's College, at Waterford, where he was ordained to priesthood at the age of twenty-five years. He was ordained for the diocese of Pittsburg, U. S. A., and after a short vacation embarked for America. He first located at Homestead, Pa., where he was assistant to Rev. Bullion at St. Mary Magdalene Church, one of the largest churches in the diocese. He remained there, two years, and then, on account of ill health, did not have any charge for a year and a half, spending that time in travel in the various countries of Europe. Returning to America, he was appointed assistant priest to Father Brennan, his cousin, at McDonald, Pa., then three months later became assistant to Father P. J. O'Neil, at Ellwood City, Pa. He continued at that point for nine months, during which time Father O'Neil died. In June, 1902, Father Dooley was appointed to the charge at Wampum, where he has since labored with such beneficial results. He immediately set about securing the erection of a new church edifice, and after years of conscientious effort, the present beautiful structure was completed. During the first three years here, services were held across the river, at Chewton. By his invitation, the corner stone was laid by Father Gallagher, of New Castle, September 25, 1904, and the church was dedicated on July 9, 1905, by Bishop Canevin, confirmation services being held the same day. The first services were held on Easter Sunday, 1905, the Sunday following Wampum's great fire. The congregation at this place numbers seventy-five families, representing various nationalities, and Father Dooley also has charge of a mission, St. Theresa's Church, at Hoytdale, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. Fraternally he is a member of New Castle Lodge, B.P.O.E., and Beaver Valley Council, K. of C.

Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, page 714

 

All documents, photos, materials and graphics contained in the Men of the Cloth pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space  provided by Rootsweb and historicpa.net.
Old Photos & Genealogy Blog familyoldphotos.com historicpa.net
  old-yearbooks.com gendisasters.com
Copyright 2002-2007, All rights reserved.