Rev. Robert Johnston was born in Sherman's
Valley, Perry County, PA, 7 Aug 1774. He was a descendent of Oliver
When Robert was eight years old, his father moved to a farm near
Canonsburg, Washington County, PA. In 1796, he started at the academy at Canonsburg
and five years later he commenced the study of Theology. He was licensed
to preach the Gospel by the Presbytery of Ohio, 22 Apr 1802. He spent the
following year as a missionary in Ohio and Kentucky.
About 1802, he married Eleanor Wright,
daughter of Judge Wright.
Rev. Johnston became the first pastor of the Scrubgrass Presbyterian
Church in Crawford's Corners, PA, on 19 Oct 1803. During his pastorate the
first house of worship for the Scrubgrass congregation was erected. Rev.
Johnston served the church until 2 Jan 1811 when he resigned to take charge of
Meadville, Sugar Creek and Conneaut Lake Churches.
Rev. Johnston died at the home of his son,
Johnston, Esq., in New Castle, Lawrence County, PA, on 20 May
History of the Scrubgrass
Presbyterian Church, 1903.
Johnston was the second pastor at the Presbyterian Church in Meadville
"...The second pastor was Rev. Robert Johnston. He was
installed, October 15, 1811, as pastor of Meadville, Little Sugar Creek,
and Conneaut (now Evansburg). This relation was dissolved April 2,
Presbyterian Church] was formerly known as Conneaut, or the Outlet of
Conneaut. In 1811 to 1817, it constituted a part of the charge of
Rev. Robert Johnston, in connection with Meadville and Little Sugar
church was anciently under the care of the Presbytery of Erie, under the
name of "Little Sugar Creek." It was a portion of Mr.
Johnson's charge, from 1811 to 1817.
of the Erie Presbytery, 1868 Click
to view the source for this material.
on Rev. Robert Johnston