Thomas Braken came to this territory about 1778, and took up a tract of land, for which he received a Virginia certificate in 1780. It was not surveyed until April 15, 1788, and was then named "The Three Shares," containing three hundred and forty acres, and was at that time adjoining lands of Samuel Parks and Robert Ralston. The patent for the tract was not obtained till March 30, 1802. On the 25th of November, 1783, he sold to William Hutton, who then lived on the place, one hundred acres adjoining Samuel Parks. Hutton sold the tract August 17th the next year to James Gaston, and he to William Cook. A deed was not given for the land till May 5, 1808. Thomas Bracken died between 1802 and 1806, leaving children, ---Thomas, Henry, John, Reed, Sally, Agnes (the wife of Rev. John Matthews), Hannah (Mrs. Joseph Thompson), Jane (Mrs. Richard Miller), and Mary Bracken. On the 25th of April, 1806, Reed and Sally Bracken sold to William Craighead one hundred and eighty acres of the estate, and on the 4th of October, 1816, the heirs sold to Henry Bracken one hundred and thirty-four acres, and to Richard Miller (husband of Jane Bracken) one hundred and thirty-four acres.
Thomas became a Presbyterian minister, sold his land to Benjamin and Moses Coe, Erasmus Allison, and Thomas Kerr, and removed to Mercer County. John lived on the home place, and died there. Henry finally removed to the South, where he followed the profession of a teacher. Reed was educated at Canonsburg, and entered the ministry of the Presbyterian Church. Part of the property went from the Brackens to John Murray, and from him to James
Craighead, and passed to Wesley Greer, by whom it was fold to the Pennsylvania Reform School, which now occupies the property.
of Washington County, PA, 1882