Thomas Marquis, the fourth son of Thomas and Mary (Colville) Marquis,
was born in Opequan Valley, Va., in 1753; was married March 5, 1776, to
Jane Park, and some time after came to Washington county. He settled on
a tract of land for which he took out a warrant February 23, 1786, and
afterward obtained a patent. This tract was called "Marrigate"
and contained 417 acres, and allowances. The tract embraces one of the
farms now owned by Richard Wells, the farm of the Bebout heirs, and a
part of the Perrine tract. Afterward, by deed dated August 27, 1794, he
purchased from Alexander Wells, of Cross Creek, and Nathan Cromwell, of
Baltimore, a tract of 500 acres, embracing lands now owned by Hon. J. S.
Duncan, John Lee, a tract (called the "McConnell" farm) now
owned by W. C. Lee, and a part of the farm of Rev. J. S. Marquis, D. D.
His family was obliged to live for a time in Vance's fort, owing to the
incursions of the Indians, and while there he was converted under the
preaching of Rev. James Power, D. D. By the advice of Revs. Smith and
Dodd he commenced preparation for the ministry. His classical education
was obtained at Canonsburg Academy, and he studied theology under the
direction of Rev. Dr. McMillan and Rev. Joseph Smith; was licensed to
preach the Gospel by the Presbytery of Redstone at Dunlaps Creek, April
19, 1793. He soon received three calls - from Bethel and Ebenezer,
Ten-Mile, and Cross Creek. He was a natural orator. The tones of his
voice was so musical that he was called the "Silver-tongued
Marquis". He was pastor of Cross Creek Church for about
thirty-three years. While on a visit to his son-in-law, Rev. Joseph
Stevenson, he was attacked with fever, dying of same September 27, 1827,
and was buried in the cemetery in Bellefontaine, Ohio. He had a large
family of children, and his descendants are scattered far and wide. Rev.
John M. Stevenson, D. D., one of the secretaries of the American Tract
Society, at New York, Rev. James E. Marquis and Rev. Thomas Marquis
Newell were grandsons. Rev. W. S. Marquis, pastor of the Presbyterian
Church of Rock Island, Ill., is a great grandson, and Mrs. Patton, wife
of Rev. Dr. Patton, president of Princeton College, Princeton, N. J., is
a great granddaughter. Only one of the daughters of Thomas and Mary
(Colville) Marquis (Anne) came from Virginia to this county; she married
Maj. James Park, who was killed by the Indians on a farm now belonging
to the heirs of Josiah N. Scott, Esq., in Jefferson township, this
county. The other daughters married in Virginia - Sarah married John
Vance, and lived near Holstein, Va.; Elizabeth married Daniel McCauley,
and remained in Virginia.
Biographical Record of Washington County, PA, 1893, page 182
on Rev. Thomas Marquis