Rev. Timothy Alden
was of Puritan ancestry. He was born at Yarmouth, Mass., August 28th, 1771. He entered Harvard in 1790, and graduated in 1794. He seems to have engaged somewhat in the study of theology during his collegiate course. Whilst teaching at Marblehead, Mass., he was licensed to preach the gospel. November 20th, 1799, he was ordained as co-pastor with Dr. Haven, over the church of Portsmouth, N.H. He resigned his charge July 31st, 1805, but continued his labors there until 1808, when he opened a ladies' school in Boston. In 1810, he took charge of the young ladies' department in the Academy at Newark, N.Y., and after a few years opened a school for young ladies in the city of New York. July 28th, 1817, he was inaugurated President and Professor in the Faculty of Allegheny College, Meadville, Pa. He became a member of the Presbytery of Erie, April 2d, 1816. He delighted in missionary work, and for many successive years labored for a time among the Seneca and Munsee Indians, who had reservations in northwestern Pennsylvania and southwestern New York. Mr. Alden's
connection with Allegheny College terminated in November 1831. He opened a boarding school in Cincinnati in 1832, and in 1834, took charge of the Academy at East Liberty, Pa., becoming also stated supply to the congregation of Pine Creek, in that region. He died, July 5th, 1839. Besides many occasional sermons and addresses, Mr. Alden published, in 1814, "A collection of American Epitaphs," in five volumes, and in 1827, a "History of Sundry Missions," an
in 1821, a "Hebrew Catechism."
of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America: Including the Northern and Southern Assemblies,