William B. Stewart

 

Rev. William B. Stewart, click to enlarge photo

REV. WILLIAM B. STEWART, D. D. was born Oct. 10, 1818, in Venango township, Butler County, Pa, He was a grandson of the first settler, James Craig. He entered the preparatory school of Washington College, 1838. After six years, part of this time being spent in teaching, he graduated and the same fall entered Western Theological Seminary. After one and one half years his health failed and he was compelled to teach for a few years. But regaining health he attended one session at Princeton and was licensed by the Presbytery of New Brunswick, April, 1849. Dr. Stewart sustained pastoral relations as follows; Govanstown, near Baltimore, 8 years, Pottstown, Pa., 1860-1864, Congregational church, Spenceport, N. Y., 1870-1873; Port Henry, N. Y., 1873-1876; Fort Edward, N. Y., 1876-1879; Coventry, N. Y., 1879. His life was of varied activities. He was the founder, or connected with the following schools at different periods of his life: Academy at Cumberland, Md., English and Classical School. Greencastle, Pa., Washington Female College, Baltimore, Md., Raymond Collegiate Institute, N. Y., Ingleside Seminary, N. Y. For six years he was District Secretary of the American and Foreign Christian Union of Central and Western New York. Later he became Secretary of the Pennsylvania branch of the American Tract Society. Many of the products of his pen found their way to the press. Health failing, he returned to Fort Edward, N. Y., where he died of pneumonia, 1903.

History of the Scrubgrass Presbyterian Church, 1903

 

 

All documents, photos, materials and graphics contained in the Men of the Cloth pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space  provided by Rootsweb and historicpa.net.
Old Photos & Genealogy Blog familyoldphotos.com historicpa.net
  old-yearbooks.com gendisasters.com
Copyright 2002-2007, All rights reserved.