Historical To perpetuate the memory and spirit of the men and women who achieved American Independence:
- by the acquisition and protection of historical spots and the erection of monuments;
- by the encouragement of historical research in relation to the American Revolution and the publication of its results;
- by the preservation of documents and relics, and of records of the individual services of Revolutionary soldiers and patriots;
- and by the promotion of celebrations of all patriotic anniversaries
Educational To carry out the injunction of Washington in his Farewell Address to the American people,
"... to promote, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge, thus developing an enlightened public opinion, and affording to young and old such advantages as shall develop in them the largest capacity for performing the duties of American citizens."
- To cherish, maintain, and extend the institutions of American freedom
- to foster true patriotism and love of country
- and to aid in securing for mankind all the blessings of liberty.