Internet-wide Guide to FREE Online Pennsylvania Marriage Records
What can you learn from marriage records? They often have the names and birthplaces of the bride's and groom's parents, mother's maiden name, addresses and occupation of the bride and groom, information about previous marriages, witnesses' (who may be possible relatives) names and clergy names.
See additional information about marriage records.
Marriage Registry Database pre-1940
Unknown County Pennsylvania Marriage Records
- Delaware and Maryland Marriage records should be checked as these states were favorite elopement destinations for PA couples!
- To obtain a copy of a PA marriage certificate, write to Marriage License Clerk of the county courthouse where the marriage license was issued. See
PA County Courthouse Addresses. PA marriage licenses were issued beginning in 1885. Prior to 1885, check church records for marriages.
- Don't assume the marriage certificate will be in the county courthouse where the marriage took place. The license may have been obtained in a different county because in PA there is no requirement that the license be issued and executed in the same county. The Duplicate Certificate is returned by law to the county that issued the original license even if the event took place in a different county. Can't find a certificate? Search a nearby county.
- Catholic Marriage Records are considered sacramental records and are not available on-line, nor open to public inspection. However, the diocese will perform historical research of marriage records for a fee.
Includes the city and county of Philadelphia and the counties of Bucks,
Chester, Delaware and Montgomery.
Includes the counties of Berks, Carbon, Lehigh, Northampton and
Includes the counties of Bedford, Blair, Cambria, Centre, Clinton, Fulton,
Huntingdon and Somerset.
Diocese of Erie
Includes the counties of Cameron, Clarion, Clearfield, Crawford, Elk,
Erie, Forest, Jefferson, McKean, Mercer, Potter, Venango and Warren.
Includes the counties of Armstrong, Fayette, Indiana and Westmoreland.
Diocese of Harrisburg
Includes the counties of Adams, Columbia, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin,
Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Mifflin, Montour, Northumberland, Perry,
Snyder, Union and York.
Includes the counties of Allegheny, Beaver, Butler, Greene, Lawrence and Washington.
Includes the counties of Bradford, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Lycoming, Monroe,
Pike, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Tioga, Wayne and Wyoming.
- Marriages are often noted in biographical sketches of Pa citizens
U. S. Town / County Database
Know the town, but not the county? Enter the town to find the county.
Easy Genealogy Search
Enter your surname once, search 20 huge worldwide genealogy databases.
Genealogy Search Tips
Make your ancestor search more productive.
Record your Genealogy
Free Genealogy Software, forms, charts and templates.
Soundex calculator, Perpetual calendar, Day of Week calculator, Tombstone Birthday calculator, Cousin Calculator, More!
Free genealogy resources
Free trials to Ancestry and Genealogy.com databases. Census, Immigration, UK & Ireland, Genealogy Library, much more.
Why pay when you can view for free?