Schuylkill County Courthouse
|Search for your Schuylkill County Pennsylvania ancestors in mining accident reports, family histories, military records, Zerby's Past events of Schuylkill county; place names, village names and addresses; churches, cemeteries, vital records, historical books, transcribed census, and other genealogy records.
Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Biographical Notes of Pine Grove, Pennsylvania
by John William Barr
DUBBS, JOHN, came from Perry Co. He was a chair maker, and also worked at carpentering; he was married to a Miss Schrope. He was at one time in the store and mining business with Henry Wile, had store where Geo. Gensemer lives. He had five sons and two daughters: Victor, Alexander, Henry, Thomas, Andrew; one of the daughters was married to a Mr. Godfrey and lives at Ocean Grove, N. J., the other was single and also lives at Ocean Grove. Three of the sons served in the Civil War: Victor, Alexander, and Henry.
DITZLER, JACOB, lived near where Harry L. Gensemer's house now stands. He kept a cake and candy store. He afterwards bought the house aside of Morris Hikes; and paid for it in ten cent pieces. He had two daughters. Molly was married and lived in Donaldson. The other one went to Lancaster Co.
DIBHL, FRANK, was a tailor, came to Pine Grove from Lebanon Co. with John Helms, worked at his trade for some time, then clerked in the store for William DeTurk, then was baggage clerk at the station of the P. & R. at Pine Grove, then on the Lebanon train, then was promoted to conductor. He was married to Rose Amanda Snyder and has one son, J. Lee. He died about two years ago.
DRUCKENMILLER, WILSON, was a marble cutter, came from Lehigh Co., carried on the business for 30 years. He owned the house aside of David Fisher now owned by Jeff. Snyder. He was married to Emma R. Fidler. He moved to Spring City where he died about a year ago. McDONOUGH, LEVI, was born in Berks Co. Feb. 25, 1859, came to Pine Grove Township with his parents, taught school in the township for some 30 odd years, was also justice of the peace for 30 years.
DAUBERT, WILLIAM, was born in Pine Grove; he is mar- ried to Miss Hummel. He is agent for the Rettig Brewing Co., also does express hauling. He and his brother-in-law, Tyrus Zimmerman, own the Levi Miller farm and what was the Wm. Zimmerman lands. His father was conductor on the freight train and was killed opposite the brick factory some 18 years ago. He has one brother, two sons and three daughters: Stanley, Willard, Marion, Minerva and Ruth.
DRINE, OWEN, was born in Orwigsburg in 1822. He located in Pine Grove in 1842, was a shoemaker. He was married to Mary Mease. Drine & Fisher carried on the shoe business for some years in what is now the barroom of the Eagle Hotel. He had one son and three daughters; the son died at the age of 17 years; Sallie was married to E. J. Haak, Emma was married to Frank Maurer, Kate was married to Morris Hikes. Mr. Drine was Chief Burgess of Pine Grove for some time. He was a good citizen, had no enemies, a good and upright Christian.
DUELL, CHARLES, came to Pine Grove from Berks County, was a blacksmith by trade. He was married to S. Christ, a daughter of Dr. Christ. He was at one time in partnership with F. G. Werntz at the corner of Carbon and Mill streets; afterwards carried on coach building at the corner of Tulpehocken and Canal streets. He did quite an extensive business at one time; shipped quite a number of carriages to Chicago. He afterwards moved to Chicago, later on came back to Pine Grove. He is buried on the Lutheran cemetery. He had three sons and four daughters: George, Charles and William; Amanda was married to A. T. Felty, Delia to Rev. Neitz, Anna lives in Chicago and Bessie in Minnesota.
DERBY, JOHN F., came to Pine Grove about 1843; he was a machinist and built the foundry and machine shop where Charles Werner's lumber yard now is. He had a boiler explosion which forced him to rebuild it; a few years after it burned down, then he started to rebuild and in 1852 the S. & S. was started to be built and came through the ground where he wanted to build; then he bought the ground where the brick factory now is; he built it and ran it as a foundry and machine shop with J. L. Nutting as partner. Mr. Derby sold his interest to J. L. Nutting in 1858 and moved to Plymouth, Luzerne Co. and estab- lished a foundry there. He was married to Antoneta Blank, a sister of Mrs. Guy Wheeler; he had four sons and one daugh- ter. Charles and John live in California, Lewis lives in Wilkes- Barre, Levi and the daughter died some years ago. He did a large business in building stationary engines and most of the machinery used at coal breakers in the west end from 1844 to 1858.
DUBBS, ALEXANDER, was born in Pine Grove, has been in the mercantile business in the annex for some 30 odd years. He is doing a good business, owns a good deal of property. He was in the Civil War, had two sons: Charles was in business with his father, he died some years ago; George is in the clothing business and is doing a big trade, he is married to Lorretta Bordlemay; they have two daughters. George was at one time Captain of Co. G, 4th Regt.; N. G. P. He is a very genial fellow and has a great many friends.
Pine Grove Biographical Notes
Pine Grove Organizations
Businesses, Organizations, Lodges, Societies, Schools
A  | B  | C  | D  | E  | F  | G  | H  | I-J  | K  | L  | M  | N  | O-P  | R  | S  | T  | U  | W  | Y-Z  |