Schuylkill County Courthouse
|Search for your Schuylkill County Pennsylvania ancestors in mining accident reports, family histories, military records, Zerby's Past events of Schuylkill county; place names, village names and addresses; churches, cemeteries, vital records, historical books, transcribed census, and other genealogy records.
Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Biographical Notes of Pine Grove, Pennsylvania
by John William Barr
LOSER, IRWIN, was born in Lebanon county. in 1839, and was a moulder by trade. He worked for J. L. Nutting and in Tremont, drove the store team for Kurtz. He worked for the P. & R. railway company, and was crossing watchman for the P. & R. railway company. He had one son James, who was in the weigh office until the coal trains were taken to Cressona, then he went to Tamaqua and is employed by the P. & R. rail- way company. 'He is married to Mamie Earnest.
LUTZ, WILLIAM, came from Lancaster county, and was a blacksmith by trade. He was married to Susan Barr. He bought the Eagle Hotel about 1830, which he kept until about 1848, then leased it to Philip Koons. Lutz retired from active business and sold the hotel in 1861 to William Lerch and bought the house where Irvin J. Leffler lives now. He had one son and two daughters. Cyrus and Pamila died young. Lilla was mar- ried to Harry Richard, locomotive engineer, on the P. & R. railroad, for many years, and was at one time in the store busi- ness. He moved to Pottstown where he died. He had one son and two daughters. William died young. Bessie is married and lives in Pottstown. Sue is married and lives in Mass.
LEONHARD, JOHN D., was a harness maker, also had station- ary and cigar store. He had two sons and three daughters. John at one time had store at Hammon; Richard farmed at one time. He is at present employed by Robert Miller. Rebecca was married to John Keim, a tailor. He served in the Civil War. Amelia was married to Dr. Levi Christ, who also served in the Civil War. Kate was married to Peter Shollenberger. Mr. Leon- hard's house stood where Harry Gensemer and Dr. Hess now live.
LEY, CHRISTIAN, was a brother to John Ley and a broth- er-in-law to Dr. A. Holmes. The Leys and Holmes owned at one time a great deal of land in and around Pine Grove. He built the stone house at the corner of Mifflin and Union streets, now owned by William Ley, his son. The house was built in 1857, He kept a hotel at one time at the corner where Boyer's house now stands, then followed butchery for some 20 years. He had three sons, Jerome, Aaron and William, and three daugh- ters. Jerome carried on butchery at the same place, then moved to Cressona, where he followed the same business. He fell from Beck's hotel porch and was killed. He had two sons, Edward and George. Edward lives in Philadelphia, He is a barber, George lives in Boise, Idaho, and has a meat market, and is interested in horse raising. William carried on butchery for some time at the old place. He has three daughters, one is married to William Bautch and lives in Schuylkill Haven. One is mar- ried to Mr. Suenders and lives in Lancaster. Sarah, daughter of Christian Ley, was married to David Jauss and lived in Harrisburg. They are both dead. Lovania was married to Mr. Roth. May was married to Ben. Rowe and lives in Golden, Colorado. Jerome and William both served in the Civil War.
LLOYD, SAMUEL, was a shoemaker and lived in Jackson Row. He had three sons: Michael, William and Samuel, and one daughter. He moved from here to Pottsville.
LEISY, SAMUEL, came to Pine Grove with his parents from Lancaster county, worked at the mines for 25 years. He has been Assessor for eight years and Judge of Election. He has two daughters; one married to Francis Kramer and one to Oscar Snyder.
LEISBY, RUDY, came from Lancaster county. He worked for the P. & R. railway company for 40 years. He was Chief Burgess of Pine Grove. HeĽ had four sons and one daughter. Daniel lives at Reading, has been clerk in the P. & R. railway office for some 28 years; John works at Reading; Gordon lives in Pine Grove. The daughter is married to Charles Egolf and lives in Northampton. One son died.
LEFFLER, IRVIN J., was born in Pine Grove township and is a merchant tailor. He is married to a Miss Saltzer. He Is leader of the Pine Grove band.
LONG, JACOB, was born Dec. 22nd. 1870, is a tinsmith and plumber by trade. He came to Pine Grove in 1884 and was .married to Sailie C. Haas. They have four sons and one daughter, Catherine, who teaches the intermediate School of Pine Grove. He has been in the tinsmith and plumbing and hardware busi- ness. He lives on what was at one time the Miller Estate. He is doing a fine business.
LEHR, GEORGE, was born in Pine Grove township, came to Pine Grove in Nov. 1893. He was married to Miss Minnich. He has worked in the mines for 25 years; has two sons, Ralph Is married and lives at Hershey; Irvin is in Philadelphia. Mr. Lehr is President of the School Board.
LOGAN, CHARLES, a son of William Logan, was born June 15th. 1853, he was in the store with William Uhler for several years, then was clerking for the Barlows in Mahanoy City. Mr. Logan was married to Carrie Tracy, June Third, 1880. He has been in the employ of the P. & R. railway com- pany since 1877, as passenger train conductor and Station Agent at Pine Grove. He has three sons, Harry is a graduate of Dick- inson College and also of a Dental College and is located in Mt. Carmel. George is a civil engineer and is at Reading. Frank is employed at Reading. Mr. Logan was burned out a few months ago.
LERCH, WILLIAM, came to Pine Grove in 1861, bought the Eagle hotel from William Lutz, had the hotel for a number of years, then sold it to George Fessler and then bought the Penn- sylvania inn. He owned the house where James Mars lives and also the Cold Spring property at one time. He sold all his prop- erty and moved to Erie. He had four sons and one daugh- ter. The four sons served in the Civil War. George died in the army. The daughter was married to Lewis Luckenbill. All moved to Erie.
LEHMAN, ISAAC, was born in Pine Grove township, was married to Angeline Huber. He moved to Pine Grove about 1847, built the house where the Rev. Klick lives. He was a boat man for some years, was section boss for some years, for the P. & R. R. railway company. He had one son and one daugh- ter, the son died at the age of 20 years. The daughter was mar- ried to Gregory Achenbach. She died some years ago.
LEHMAN, JACOB, was a mason. He boated. He was mar- ried to Adam Spancake's daughter. He built the house that Rose Diehl now occupies. His first wife died. He had a son named William, with his first wife. He served in the Civil War. He was .married the second time to a sister of the first wife, was divorced, then married the third time a Miss Britton, and had one son .and two daughters. Isaac is a railroader and lives in Lebanon. One daughter married David Donmoyer; one Will Spangler. The fourth wife was Lydia Greely.
LONG, SIMON CAMBRON, was born Sept. 7th, 1857, in Dauphin County, Pa., was educated in the public schools of Pine Grove, Pa., and at Lafayette College, from which Institution he graduated in June 1877 with degree of C. E. Upon leaving College, Mr. Long was employed as engineer and In other ca- pacities at Lincoln and Lorberry Collieries and later on the P. & R. Railway as Clerk, Assistant yard master and yardmaster. With personal recommendation* from George B. Roberts and Hon. Simon Cameron, he entered the services of the P. R. R. Company on April 3rd, 1881, and was assigned to services by Mr. John C. Wilson, engineer in charge of construction on an engineering corps at Paoll engaged in the construction of two tracks in addition to two existing tracks from Merion to Bryn Mawr and a change of line at Valley Creek. Mr .Long remain- ed in the construction department as Rodman, Levelman and Transitman in charge of a corps until April 19th, 1882, when upon personal recommendation of the late Robert B. Pettit, As- sistant Chief Engineer, he was transferred to the General Sup- erintendent's office at Altoona from that place he was appointed Assistant Supervisor in Pittsburg yard Nov. 25th, 1882. On May 16th, 1883 Mr. Long was transferred as Assistant Super- visor to Wall now Pitcairn on August 14th, 1884, he was sent to Philadelphia yard as Assistant Supervisor, he was promoted to Supervisor Feb. 1st, 1885 on the Monongahela Division on Nov. 1st, 1885, was transferred to the main line as Supervisor at Lancaster. He was promoted, to Assistant Engineer of the Delmar Division on Nov. 1st, 1889 was transferred to the Maryland Division on Jan. 1st, 1893 Mr. Long became Super- intendent of the Bedford Division on Aug. 1st, 1900 and was appointed Superintendent of the River Division of the Alle- gheny Valley Railroad May 1st, 1902, he was appointed Sup- erintendent of the Pittsburg Division Jan. 1st, 1903, and on April 1st, 1907, was promoted to the newly created position of General Superintendent of the Western Pennsylvania Division Pennsylvania Railroad March 3rd, 1911, upon the retirement of Vice President Pugh and the appointment of the General Manager Myers to fifth Vice President Mr. Long was promoted to General Manager of the Pennsylvania Railroad east of Pitts burg and Erie with headquarters at Philadelphia.
Pine Grove Biographical Notes
Pine Grove Organizations
Businesses, Organizations, Lodges, Societies, Schools
A  | B  | C  | D  | E  | F  | G  | H  | I-J  | K  | L  | M  | N  | O-P  | R  | S  | T  | U  | W  | Y-Z  |