Search billions of records on

Schuylkill County Genealogy Ties

Schuylkill County Courthouse
         Search for your Schuylkill County Pennsylvania ancestors in mining accident reports, family histories, military records, Zerby's Past events of Schuylkill county; place names, village names and addresses; churches, cemeteries, vital records, historical books, transcribed census, and other genealogy records.

Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Site Features

Schuylkill County Genealogy Ties:

· Home

· Biographies

· Books

· Cemeteries

· Census

· Churches

· Ethnic Groups

· Historical Societies

· Histories

· Military

· Mine Reports

· Past Events

· Queries

· Resources

· Towns

· Vital Recs

Ancestry Databases


· PA Immigrants

· PA German Pioneers

· PA Bios

· PA Allegiance Oaths



Message Board

Tombstone Transcriptions

PA GenWeb Archives


Biographical Notes of Pine Grove, Pennsylvania


by John William Barr

"O" & "P" Surnames

OLIVER, JAMES, came from N. J., was a coal operator with Caleb Wheeler at Lorberry, moved to Pottsville and operated Eagle Colliery, sold it to P. & R. Coal and Iron company. He had four daughters. Sarah was married to George Mars; Em- ma was married to a Methodist Minister and lived at Tremont; Mary was married to Oscar Moore. Elmira was married to James Oliver moved to Chicago some 36 years ago.

PAXSON, GEORGE, came from Schuylkill Haven. He was manager of the Grange store for some time afterwards in part- nership with George Berger. He sold out to John Richter and the firm was Paxson and Richter. After some years Paxson sold his interest to Boyer. He had one son and two daughters. Joseph was a machinist. He died some years ago. Ellen and Lillie live with their father. Mrs. Paxson died some years ago. He moved to Orwigsburg and is in the Mercantile business at the present time, 1916.

PERRY, JOSEPH, was here in 1841. He was a bachelor was a cabinet maker, and worked for William Zimmerman for many years. He left Pine Grove after the war.

PROUD, JOHN, a native of England, was born Nov. 20th. 1835, came to Schuylkill county with his parents and located at Rausch Gap, Lebanon county, where he worked in the mine, learned the machinist trade at the S. & S. shop at the Gap, and was a locomotive engineer. He and his brother had a head on collision out what is called Beuchler's Cut, smashed the en- gines, no one was hurt seriously. About 1866 he became fore- man of the shops at Rausch Gap, he built a little engine called the Fairy we used it to come to Pine Grove for the doctor and for pleasure rides on Sunday. A man by the name of Paully was sick and they wanted him to go to Pine Grove for the doctor and he had got word the night before that the President of the road was coming over the road in a special in the forenoon, so he did not want to go for the doctor in the morning, so after dinner he thought the special would not come, so he got the Fairy out and started. He took a man along to run the curves and when he got a few hundred yards away from the shop, the special whistled. He was to come back, but before he could get her off the track the engine struck her and that was the last of The Fairy, there was no telegraph to the Gap that time. Mr. Proud got a two months vacation. In 1872 the shops were moved to Pine Grove and Proud was foreman till about 1886, then went to Philadelphia and took charge of the Third and Berks street shop of the P. & R. railway company, was there three or four years then moved to Harrisburg and went in the manufacturing of brick. He sold out his interest and went to work for the Pennsylvania Steel company till his death. Mr. Proud was married to Kate Poorman in 1863. She was a native of Chambersburg. She died at the age of 82 years. They had four sons and three daughters, John is a machinist and works in the U. S. mint in Philadelphia. William is a Jeweler and Diamond setter, carries on business for himself. A. L. Proud is a jeweler and is also in business. Percy is a machinist. The boys all live in Philadelphia. Kate died some years ago. Alice is single. Helen is married and lives in Har- risburg. Mr. Proud owns eight houses in Harrisburg.

PAINE, ALLEN, was born in Fredericksburg, Lebanon Co. He was a carpenter by trade and came to Pine Grove in 1872. He tended bar for a short time in the Penn. Inn. Then entered in the Mercantile business with John Martin in the building where lrvin Leffler is now. Afterwards built the store house where Wilson Brato has his tinsmith shop. He and Martin had store for some years then the firm changed to Paine & Hum- mel. At one time he owned the property where Edward Hum mel lived. He sold all his interests in Pine Grove and went to Lebanon, into the hotel business, sold out there and went to Reading, bought a hotel in Reading, sold out there and went to Philadelphia, 16th and Venango street. He sold in January and lives private on North 17th. at 3841 above Butler. He is mar- ried to Lizzie McGorgle. He has two sons and two daughters and is quite well to do.

Pine Grove Biographical Notes

Pine Grove Organizations
Businesses, Organizations, Lodges, Societies, Schools

A  |   B  |   C  |   D  |   E  |   F  |   G  |   H  |   I-J  |   K  |   L  |   M  |   N  |   O-P  |   R  |   S  |   T  |   U  |   W  |   Y-Z  |  

Schuylkill County Links

Search Schuylkill County Genealogy
Custom Search Logo
Home | Site Map

Schuylkill County Genealogy Ties was formerly located at