Schuylkill County Genealogy Ties


Schuylkill County Courthouse
         Search for your Schuylkill County Pennsylvania ancestors in mining accident reports, family histories, military records, Zerby's Past events of Schuylkill county; place names, village names and addresses; churches, cemeteries, vital records, historical books, transcribed census, and other genealogy records.

Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Site Features

Schuylkill County Genealogy Ties:

· Home

· Biographies

· Books

· Cemeteries

· Census

· Churches

· Ethnic Groups

· Historical Societies

· Histories

· Military

· Mine Reports

· Past Events

· Queries

· Resources

· Towns

· Vital Recs








Ancestry Databases

FREE:

· PA Immigrants

· PA German Pioneers

· PA Bios

· PA Allegiance Oaths




RootsWeb

GenWeb

Message Board

Tombstone Transcriptions

PA GenWeb Archives





     

Biographical Notes of Pine Grove, Pennsylvania

1841-1916

by John William Barr



"R" Surnames




REBER, HORACE F., is the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank- lin W. Reber and was born at Rock, Washington Township, on February 25, 1866. in 1880 the family moved to town where he attended the public schools, graduating from the High School in 1885. He was for a short time employed at the Gensemer Brothers tannery, and in October of 1885 he entered the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway as a clerk in the scale office where S. M. Helms, now of Reading, was the weighmaster. On January 1, 1894, he entered the Country Commissioners' office as second assistant clerk, on January 1 he was promoted to first assistant clerk, and on January 1, 1897, he was promoted to Chief Clerk succeeding Phil. J. Connell. in 1899 he became a can- didate for County Commissioner and was elected over Frank J. Brennan, of Shenandoah, having the highest vote for that office. He was re-elected in the fall of 1892 for a second term, com- pleting a continuous twelve year service in that important office. in 1897 he was wedded to Ella R. Hoffman, of Tower City. The family having six children as follows: Florence, teaching in the public schools of Schuylkill Haven; Norman D., chief clerk in the Gensemer & Salen tannery offices; Ferd. L., resort solicitor for the Philadelphia Record; Harold M., bookkeeper for Simon & Sherman, slaughters of Reading; Esther E., employed as file clerk in the Health Department at Harrisburg, and Dorothy at home. The six children with the father graduated from the local High school. Mr. Reber became a member of Company G, Fourth infantry, N. G. P., for eight years, attaining the rank of Second Lieutenant, the Company then under the command of Capt. James W. Umbenhauer. in 1906 he started a hosiery mill operating by electric light, being the first electrically lighted plant in the town. He also operated the first washery in the Swatara creek run by gasoline power. He sold out his interest in the stocking plant to his partner, John E. Reber, of Pottsville ,and on Dec. I, 1909, became associated with C. F. Anderson in conducting the Pine Grove Herald, a weekly paper, being engaged in that busi- ness together with reportorial work at the present time. He served in the local borough council and the school board for sev- eral times, serving at present as secretary and member of the board. He is a member of Camp 49, P. 0. S. of A., and Pine Grove Castle, No. 124, Knights of the Golden Eagle in which he has served as trustee for more than fifteen years.

REBER, FRANKLIN W., was born near Schuylkill Haven, in South Manheim Township, on August 30, 1831, and is there- fore 85 years of age. He attended the public schools and at the age of 18 years began teaching in the township schools near Long Run, Wayne Township. He was the oldest of thirteen chil- dren. in October of 1854 he was married to Rebecca Manbeck, daughter of John and Barbara Katerman Manbeck, who is now 84 years of age. The couple will be married 62 years ago the coming October, being one of the oldest wedded couples still liv- ing in the state. During his married life he was a farmer near Rock, Washington Township, until 1880 when he removed to town where he was engaged in the mercantile business with his son-in-law, Charles P. Molly, the firm name being C. F. Molly & Co. While a resident of Rock, he taught school when the district was short of teachers, and taught nine terms, making him one of the oldest if not the oldest ex-school teacher in Schuylkill county. During his residence in Pine Grove he served as a census enumerator in 1890 for Pine Grove township; he also served as county mercantile appraiser for one year. He is the oldest mem- ber of Summit Station Lodge, No. 649, independent Order of Odd Fellows. With his wife they are members of the Evangelical church for more than 60 years. He took an active interest in politics for many years.

REHRER, GODFRIED, was clerk in the Union Canal of- fice for John H. Cowden. He was the father of John D. Jacob and George and Mrs. Harry Daubert. John D. Rehrer taught school at one time in Pine Grove township. Clerked for Wheel- er, Miller & Co., and for Joseph Strubenhauer where Mrs. Fessler had store, and lived in the house next to the National Bank. Jacob Rehrer was a tailor by trade. He and Fred Snyder car- ried the tailoring business for years. He served in the Civil War. He had two sons and one daughter: Calvin, Charles and Mary. Calvin died a few months ago. Charles lives in Phila- delphia and Mary in Pottsville.


ROBINSON, DR. KENNEDY, came to Pine Grove about the year 1846, and lived, when he first came, in the Conrad house ; afterwards in the house where the Key. Harry S. Dollman now lives. He practiced medicine here for a number of years and then moved to Tamaqua, where he went into the hotel business. Later he moved to Philadelphia, and then to Schuylkill Havenówas agent for the Schuylkill & Susquehanna Railroad in settling land claims for seven years, after which be moved into the Eagle Hotel, here, and conducted the same for several years. He then moved into the Pennsylvania Inn, what is now known as Hotel Pennsylvania. He was elected to the Legislature on the Democratic ticket and served one term ; he also served as Justice of the Peace for three terms. He had won many friends. He had two daughters : Frances, who, at one time taught school at Ransch Gap; Annie was married to Mr. David Llewellyn, a coal operator, residing at Shamokin, who died several years later, leaving her a widow in good circumstances. She retains the old home in Pine Grove, where she spends the summer months, and during the winter season she resides at her permanent residence in Shamokin. Frances is single and resides in Reading. Mrs. Robinson lived to the advanced age of 90 years, was a very sociable lady and bad a great many friends.

REHRER, GEORGE, worked at tailoring. He had his second wife, his first was a Miss Aulenbaugh. He had one son and one daughter with his first wife, his second was Louisa Sausser. He had two sons and three daughters with his second wife. One daughter is married to Edwin Barto and lives at Mt. Zion. One was married to George Hammer, the other is married too. Harry died. George Rehrer was crossing watchman where the crossing is now and was killed. George, his son, was baggage master at the P. & R. station, and was clerk at Cressona for some time, is now in the mercantile business. The firm is Christ & Rehrer. He is married to a Miss Moyer. He has two daughters.

REINOEHL, HENRY, was a blacksmith, carried on the business for some time, lived next to the stone house of Ley's. He also followed boating, he had served in the war of 1814 at Baltimore. He had four sons and three daughters: David, Joseph, Henry, William. One daughter was married to Jacob Brenner; Catherine to J. Shrope; Susan was single. David was married to Sarah Miller; Joseph was was married to a Miss Bonawitz; Henry was married to Susan Fasnacht; William was married to a Miss Lavengood. He was clerk for Charles Molly at' one time, then for Kitzmiller, Graeff & Co. He built the house that Mrs. Barry owns now and also the brick house opposite &he Filbert house. He sold all his interest in Pine Grove and moved to Reading and went in the Hat Manufacturing business. He had three daughters. He was well to do.

REED, WILLIAM, was a carpenter. He built the house where Mack lives, near the railroad bridge. He had two sons and one daughter. Erasmus served in the Civil War, the daughter was married to a Mr. Firmer. Erasmus was married to a Miss Koons. Andrew was married to Elizabeth Thomas. The whole family moved to Indiana.

REINOEHL, HENRY, Jr.. a son of Henry Reinoehl, Sr., worked in the mines, was married to Susan Fasnacht. He served in the Civil War. He enlisted three times. He had four eons and two daughters, Levi, Henry, George and Joseph. Levi is married to a Miss Markey. He has two daughters. Henry, George and Joseph are dead. Emma was married to Jonathan Leffler. He was a Civil War veteran.. He was killed in the mines. The widow lives in Tremont. Lydia was married to Mr. Opie, from Donaldson. He died and the widow lives in Pittsburgh.

REINHART, ISRAEL, came from Lebanon in 1841, and kept Pine Grove hotel, what is now called the Filbert House. He was captain of the first Military Company in Pine Grove. He had one son and four daughters. The son died young. Sarah was married to George Hain and lived in Reading. Susan was married to John Hippie, also lives in Reading. Catherine was married to Dr. Provost and lived at one time in Tremont. Elizabeth was single. Mr. Reinhart moved to Pottsville about 1845 or 1846, kept the American House at the the corner of Center and Union street, from Pottsville to York.

RAMER, WILLIAM, was a wheelwright by trade, carried on the business for some years. He was married to Matilda Frye. He lived where the Methodist church now stands. He was employed at one time on the S. & S. railroad. He moved to Smethport, McKean Co.

RAMER, JOSIAH, a brother to William, was also a wheelwright by trade. He was married to a Miss Seibert. He carried on the trade for some years and lived where Ray Donmoyer now lives. He had three sons, William, Charles and Edwin. They raised a girl, his brother's daughter, Maggie. She taught school in Pine Grove at one time. She was married to Charles Schlotman and lives in Pottsville.

RICHTER, MICHAEL, came from ~Germany.. He was a section boss for the P. & R. railway company, for many years and sill inspector. He had two sons and five daughters. One son and one daughter died young. John was for some time In Sherman's store, afterwards became a Lutheran Minister and is preaching in Somerset Co. He was married to Lottie Henry, a daughter of Rev. E. S. Henry. They have three sons, Conrad, Joseph and Frederick. Conrad is married to Miss Achenbach.

RANK, MICHAEL, a blacksmith, worked for many years at Lincoln Colliery for P. & R. Coal and Iron company. He owns some property. He is retired from business. He has two sons. Harry, a doctor; Thomas a machinist. Both live in Mexico for some ten years. Mr. Rank served in the Civil War.

REICHERT, GEORGE, was born in Trashunk township. Came to Pine Grove in 1873. He has been railroading some 40 years. He was married twice, his first wife was a Miss Fegley. He had one son and two daughters. Dehila is married to Harry L. Gensemer. One daughter died. His second wife is Mrs. Fehr, a widow. He built the house where Mr. Fox lives. H-3 lives on East Pottsville street.

REED, WILLIAM, a son of Jacob, was at one time in the store with Graeff. He was in the store business then sold and He had one son and four daughters. The son died young. Sarah was married to George Hain and lived in Reading. Susan was married to John Hippie, also lives in Reading. Catherine was married to Dr. Provost and lived at one time in Tremont. Elizabeth was single. Mr. Reinhart moved to Pottsville about 1845 or 1846, kept the American House at the the corner of Center and Union street, from Pottsville to York.

RAMER, WILLIAM, was a wheelwright by trade, carried on the business for some years. He was married to Matilda Frye. He lived where the Methodist church now stands. He was employed at one time on the S. & S. railroad. He moved to Smethport, McKean Co.

RAMER, JOSIAH, a brother to William, was also a wheelwright by trade. He was married to a Miss Seibert. He carried on the trade for some years and lived where Ray Donmoyer now lives. He had three sons, William, Charles and Edwin. They raised a girl, his brother's daughter, Maggie. She. taught school in Pine Grove at one time. She was married to Charles Schlotman and lives in Pottsville.

RICHTER, MICHAEL, came from ~Germany. He was a section boss for the P. & R. railway company, for many years and sill inspector. He had two sons and five daughters. One son and one daughter died young. John was for some time in Sherman's store, afterwards became a Lutheran Minister and is preaching in Somerset Co. He was married to Lottie Henry, a daughter of Rev. B. S. Henry. They have three sons, Conrad, Joseph and Frederick. Conrad is married to Miss Achenbach.

RANK, MICHAEL, a blacksmith, worked for many years at Lincoln Colliery for P. & R. Coal and Iron company. He owns some property. He is retired from business. He has two sons. Harry, a doctor; Thomas a machinist. Both live in Mexico for some ten years. Mr. Rank served in the Civil War.

REICHERT, GEORGE, was born in Trashunk township. Came to Pine Grove in 1873. He has been railroading some 40 years. He was married twice, his first wife was a Miss Fegley. He had one son and two daughters. Dehila is married to Harry L. Gensemer. One daughter died. His second wife is Mrs. Fehr, a widow. He built the house where Mr. Fox lives. He lives on East Pottsville street.

REED, WILLIAM, a son of Jacob, was at one time in the store with Graeff. He was in the store business then sold and manufacturing of hats. He had three daughters. Rev. Heck, of the Evangelical church, is a grandson.

REINBOLD, SAMUEL, was born in Lebanon county, came to Pine Grove, April 1st. 1892, was married to Gertrude Gates, from Lebanon in 1899, has two daughters, Parthena and Dorothy. He is a telegraph operator, was employed by P. & R. railway company for 24 years. He is also in the timber business and sells all kinds of oil. He has a fine home at the corner of Tulpehocken and Wood streets. He served as school director and is at present a member of town council.

REED, DAVID, a brother of Win. Reed, the carpenter, was a boat man, he lived in the house that stood where Haak's now stands. He served in the Civil War, was a prisoner. Died at Salisbury, North Carolina.



Pine Grove Biographical Notes

Pine Grove Organizations
Businesses, Organizations, Lodges, Societies, Schools

A  |   B  |   C  |   D  |   E  |   F  |   G  |   H  |   I-J  |   K  |   L  |   M  |   N  |   O-P  |   R  |   S  |   T  |   U  |   W  |   Y-Z  |  




Schuylkill County Links




Search Schuylkill County Genealogy
Custom Search



RootsWeb.com Logo
Home | Site Map





Schuylkill County Genealogy Ties was formerly located at http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/4280/