Schuylkill County Courthouse
|Search for your Schuylkill County Pennsylvania ancestors in mining accident reports, family histories, military records, Zerby's Past events of Schuylkill county; place names, village names and addresses; churches, cemeteries, vital records, historical books, transcribed census, and other genealogy records.
Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Schuylkill County Place Names
Schuylkill County was formed in 1811 from parts of Berks and Northampton Counties. Below is a list of principal boroughs and townships along with their dates of establishments. The origin of the names is also given in parenthesis.
Ashland Borough-(for Henry Clay's estate near Lexington Ky.) from Butler Township in 1847
Auburn Borough-(for the "village" in Oliver Goldsmith's poem,"The Deserted Village"), from South Manheim Township in 1857
Barry Township-(for Commander John Barry in the Revolutionary War), from parts of Norweigan and Schuylkill Townships in 1822.
Blythe Township-(for Judge Calvin Blythe), from Schuylkill Township in 1846.
Branch Township-(for the west branch of the Schuylkill River), from Norweigan Township in 1838.
Butler Township-(for William Orlando Butler, hero of War of 1812 and Mexican War), from Barry Township in 1848.
Brunswick Township-(name of German origin) an original township and divided into East and West Brunswick Townships in 1835.
Cass Township-(for Lewis Cass, soldier and explorer), from Branch Township in 1848.
Cressona Borough-(for John Chapman Cresson, engineer and railroad executive), from North Manheim Township in 1857.
Coaldale Borough-(for the coal industry), from Rahn Township in 1906.
Delano Township-(for Warren Delano, maternal grandfather of President Franklin D. Roosevelt), from Rush Township in 1882.
Eldred Township-(for Judge Nathaniel Eldred), from Upper Mahantongo Township in 1849.
Foster Township-(for Judge Nathaniel Foster), from Barry, Butler and Cass Townships in 1855.
Frailey Township-(for Judge Charles M. Frailey), from Tremont and Branch Townships in 1847.
Frackville Borough-(for its founder, Daniel Frack Sr.), from Butler, West Mahanoy and New Castle Township in 1876.
Gilberton Borough-(for John Gilbert,coal operator), from Mahanoy Township in 1873.
Girardville Borough-(for Stephen Girard), from Butler Township in 1873.
Gordon Borough-(for Judge David F. Gordon of Reading), from Butler Township in 1891.
Hegins Township-(for Judge Charles W. Hegins), from Lower Mahantongo Township in 1853.
Hubley Township-(for Judge Francis B. Hubley),from Lower Mahantongo Township in 1853.
Kline Township-(for Judge Jacob Kline), from Rush Township in 1872.
Landingville Borough-(originally Orwigsburg Landing), from North Manheim Township in 1888.
Manheim Township-(name of German origin), an original township and divided into North and South Manheim Townships in 1845.
Minersville Borough-(for the coal industry), from Branch and Norweigan Townships in 1842.
Mahanoy Township-(for the Indian term "mahoni", a salt lick), from Rush Township in 1850.
Mahanoy City Borough-(name of same derivation), from Mahanoy Township in 1863.
Mahantongo Township (Lower)-(name from the Indian term meaning "plenty of venison."), an original township which dissolved into Hubley, Hegins, Porter and Frailey Townships.
Mahantongo Township (Upper)-(name of same origin), an original township.
Mount Carbon Borough-(meaning "mountain of coal"), from North Manheim Township in 1864.
Middleport Borough-(mid-way between Pottsville and Tamaqua), from Blythe Township in 1859.
McAdoo Borough-(for William G. McAdoo, once Secretary of State), from Kline Township in 1896.
Mechanicsville Borough-(its first settlers were mechanics), from Port Carbon in 1914.
Norweigan Township-(early settlers thought its mountains resembled rugged Norway), an original township.
East Norweigan Township-(name of same origin), from Norweigan Township in 1840.
New Castle Township-(from the coal town of the same name in England), from Norweigan Township in 1847.
New Philadelphia Borough-(named for the City of Philadelphia), from Blythe Township in 1867.
New Ringgold Borough-(for Major Samuel Ringgold of Mexican War fame), from East Brunswick Township in 1877.
Orwigsburg-(for its founder, Peter Orwig), from West Brunswick Township in 1823.
Pine Grove Township-(for a fine strand of pine trees in the valley), and original township.
Pine Grove Borough-(name of same origin), from Pine Grove Township in 1843.
Palo Alto Borough-(for the battle of Palo Alto in the Mexican War), from East Norweigan Township in 1854.
Port Carbon Borough-(because of early shipments of coal by canal), from East Norweigan Township in 1852.
Port Clinton Borough-(for Dewitt Clinton, promoter of the Erie Canal), from West Brunswick Township in 1852.
Porter Township-(for Governor David R. Porter), from Pine Grove and Mahantongo Townships in 1840.
Pottsville-(for its founder John Pott), laid out in 1816, became a third class city December 1, 1913.
Reilly Township-(for Judge Bernard Reilly), from Branch and Cass Townships in 1857.
Ringtown Borough-(from a famous story about a "stolen" ring), from Union Township in 1909.
Rush Township-(for Judge Jacob Rush), an original Township.
Ryan Township-(for Judge James Ryan), from Mahanoy Township in 1868.
Schuylkill Township-(from the Dutch word for "hidden stream"), an original township.
Schuylkill Haven Borough-(a haven or point for shipping coal), from North Manheim Township in 1841.
Saint Clair Borough-(for St. Clair Nichols who owned land there), from East Norweigan and New Castle Townships in 1850.
Shenandoah Borough-(probably from an Indian name meaning "sprucy stream"), from Mahanoy Township in 1866.
Tremont Borough-(from the French "tres monts" or three mountains), from Tremont Township in 1866.
Tremont Township-(same origin of name), from Pine Grove Township in 1848.
Tamaqua Borough-(for the Indian equivalent of "little beaver stream"), from Schuylkill and West Penn Townships in 1837.
Tower City Borough-(for its founder Charlemagne Tower Sr.), from Porter Township in 1892.
Union Township-(for the union of area from which it was formed), from Rush Township in 1833.
East Union Township-(same origin of name), from Rush, Mahanoy and Union Townships in 1867.
North Union Township-(same origin of name), from Union Township in 1867.
Washington Township-(for George Washington), from Wayne and Pine Grove Townships in 1856.
Walker Township-(for Judge Thomas J. Walker), from Schuylkill Township in 1878.
Wayne Township-(for General Anthony Wayne), from Manheim and Pine Grove Townships in 1827.
West Penn Township-(for William Penn or Pennsylvania), an original township.
West Mahanoy Township-(for the Indian term "mahoni" a salt lick), from Mahanoy Township in 1875.
Schuylkill County Links
PA historical Records including all census years, immigration records, military records, vital records, newspapers, land grants, stories and books at Ancestry.com
Schuylkill County Genealogy Ties was formerly located at http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/4280/