population. It was formed in 1875, taken from Hollenback township, is thinly settled,
and quite rough and hilly, less than one-third being arable land. The first settler was Martin
Harter, who came in 1795 and made his improvement near the mouth of Little Wapwallopen
creek. His immediate followers were James McNeil, James Santee, Philip Fenstermacher,
John Andreas, Michael Weiss, John Fenstermacher and Jeremiah Hess. These came
up from Northampton county; were nearly all Gennans, whose descendants are now the
leading men in the township. The first white child born in the township was John Fenster-
macher, Jr., a grandson of the first settler, Martin Harter; birth, 1804 .The first settlers cut
a road along the river, and this was the one common outlet for all. In 1797 Martin Harter
built the first frame house; his old homestead went by descent to the heirs of Absalom
Heller. In 1822 Philip Fenstermacher built the first brick house, which in modern times
became the property of A.K. Harter. This descent of properties gives a correct idea of the
intermarrying of the descendants of the early settlers. In 1829 George Fenstermacher built
the first stone house on the old homestead of Martin Harter; afterward a frame addition
was added and a hotel opened in it, and was successfully run for several years. The first
store was opened in 1805 by Philip Fenstermacher. It was not run a great while. In 1836
John Heller was the merchant. Jacob Romick, the first blacksmith, had his shop where was
built the stone house. Romick's successor was Peter Mauer, who had learned his trade with
him. A widow, Mrs. Frances Lewis, built the first gristmill; it stood a short distance above
the present Samuel Beller mill on Wapwallopen creek. Her title to the land is dated in 1806.
When this was worn out and decayed a three-story stone mill took its place, built in 1825 by
the McPherson brothers. Philip Fenstermacher built the first sawmill in 1811 on the small
spring stream bear A. Boyd's farm and residence. John Fenstermacher built an early-day
distillery near by Romick's blacksmith shop. The first school was Gennan, 1808, taught
by a man named Kroll, in a building belonging to Martin Barter. In the course of time this
temple of learning became the pigsty of A.K. Barter. An English school was opened in 1811
in a house belonging to Michael Weiss. A schoolhouse was erected in 1813.
Wapwallopen village is in the extreme south corner of the township. Its various names
indicate much of the place's history; as, the "Glen," "Powder Glen," "Hellertown,"
"Powder Hole," etc. The Dupont powder mills constitute pretty much all there is of the
place. There are three different collections of houses, but all combined are Wapwallopen.
The powder mills, as said, with a store and a merchant mill and a small cluster of houses,
have been known as Hellertown. The railroad station is the main business center. About
300 hands are working in the powder mills, and this gives quite a population. Altogether
there are 3 general stores, 1 hotel, 1 saddler shop and a blacksmith shop. G. P. Parish &
Co. came here and built the powder mills near the mouth of the creek and operated the
same until 1857 , and sold to the Duponts -the largest powder manufacturers in the world.