Search billions of records on

Cyrus Harvey lived on Bethel Hill where Merritt Saxe now lives. He farmed, worked in the woods and did carpentry.


 Ralph and Frances Harvey were married June 26, 1907 at the Harveyville Methodist Parsonage, Fairmount Twp., Luzerne Co. They lived on Bethel Hill and in Sweet Valley. Returning to Bethel Hill, they lived in the old Robinson place, which Lyle and Dee Harvey have renovated and now live in, until Herbert was about two years old. They then bought the farm adjoining and moved into the larger house, which was also built by Robinsons. Ralph Harvey farmed and worked in the woods. During the depression he worked as timekeeper on the roads for the WPA. He was talented in woodworking and made nice little cabinets and chests of drawers out of apple crate wood. He became crippled with arthritis and was an invalid for many years. Like her mother, Frances Harvey also assisted as midwife sometimes. She was with Dorothy Saxe when the twins Clarence and Clara were born.


When Herbert and I were first married, he and his brothers except Robert and Reynold, worked in the woods for Crawford Smith Sons. Gordon Smith oversaw most of the timbering business. Mostly they cut ash for baseball bats and timber for the mines. Herbert and Ralph both worked in the woods all day, farmed at night, and on Sunday afternoons they played baseball with a local league. Robert was an electrician and plumber; Reynold taught math and science, mostly chemistry and physics. Reynold had lost his right arm at age thirteen when a limb broke while he was picking apples and the bone splintered and gangrene set in. Arthur quit the woods and moved to York where he found better work. Arlie moved to Noxen amd worked for a lumber company near Dallas. Brother-in-law Oscar Saxe also worked in the woods until he was called into the minstry. Ralph died of emphazemia; Robert of heart problems, no doubt complicated by pancreatic cancer which was discovered just days before he died. Reynold died of heart problems.


The mine industry went into a sudden slump and pretty much shut down the Wyoming Valley in the 1950s, when the pillars and the roof under the Susquehanna River were robbed and the river broke through flooding the mine tunnels. Many lives were lost; miraculously some escaped. Herbert had worked in the woods since he was sixteen, when he quit school to help support the family as his father had become an invalid. After the mines flooded, for awhile his time was divided between the woods and the sawmill; then Smiths sold the mill machinery to an out of state man and most of their extensive ownings on North Mountain to Irvin Scholsser, who asked Herbert to work for him summers building roads, ponds, etc. For a couple of winters he worked with Robert for Ross and Brown Hardware, wiring and doing plumbing. Then Scholsser wanted him to go to Hatfield  for a couple of weeks to fix some machinery. The couple of weeks stretched into more than twenty years. He operated heavy machinery on construction sites, repaired machinery, ran different machines in the shop, and became a certified welder. Herbert had a sister Agnes, who died at about 3 years of age of diptheria.


Donated by Doris Harvey