a population of 759, which in 1890 increased to 881. When first known there were
friendly and peaceable Indians inhabiting in their way the foothills and had small
patches in the narrow valley which they cultivated. The first settler was a man named
Boggs, who located on the Abram Van Born place, built his log cabin and cleared a
small patch and lived there some years. Boggs joined the Revolutionary army and it is
supposed he was away from home when his family was driven away or massacred by the
Indians. All known is that the place reverted to the desert, that this family found it and
the marks of their being once there were in the scattered ruins of their home. It is said
that the friendly Indians who were neighbors of the Boggs shared their fate-driven off
or massacred. Jonathan Hunlock, from whom the township gets its name, and Edward
Blanchard settled prior to 1778 at the mouth of the creek. They were without families
and returned to their old homes, about1790. Soon after Fredrick Croop settled near the
river and opened the I. Davenport farm. About the same time came John Croop and
the numerous family, of Sorbers and settled back of the mountain and up the creek, a
mile or more from the mouth, where Hiram Croop's mills were built. Philip Sorber, son
of Jacob, made his improvement a mile still further up the creek. These two
families--Sorber and Croops--were mill men and built the sawmills and sawed out much
of the lumber, cutting the larger part of their timber in their vicinity. Other German
families followed the Sorbers and Croops, coming across from the upper Delaware, as
the Millers, Cases, Davenports, Cragles, Deits and Braders. These made good and
thrifty citizens--noted for their industry and sobriety. In 1707 Joseph Dodson moved
into the settlement, from the adjoining Plymouth settlement. Be had married Susanna
Benner, daughter of Joshua Rennet. His son Joseph B. Dodson, was born on the old
place where he resided all his long life-and aged and repected citizen and the survivor of
his family. Samuel Dodson and his brother-in-law Isaac Van Born were pioneers and
A smelting furnace was built in 1857 near the mouth of the creek by William Koons.
That once promising industry passed away when the canal came, bringing iron from the
iron point! Nothing now marks the place of the old forge. Fredrick Hartman built his
flouring mill in 1843 on the creek about three miles up. Ransom Monroe owned and
operated it many years.
Leonard Ritchie built his saw and feedmill about four miles up the creek in 1850.
George, Gregory in 1857 bought Pritchard's mill and rebuilt and enlarged it the next
year, with his brother Benjamin Gregory. In 1869 Jacob Rice built his feed and
chopping mill about one mile from the mouth of the creek. Ransom Pringle became the
leading merchant and for many years carried on his store near the railroad station.
Hiram Croop had his store near Croop's mills other traders being Darius Whitsell and
Alexander Dodson. Hunlock Creek in a station on the railroad, where are two hotels
and one general store. Roaring Brook was once a postoffice, which removed to the
north part of the township; here is a country store and church. Gregory is a postoffice
and a tollgate on the turnpike; a gristmill and an extensive stone quarry.