History of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, with Biographical Sketches of Many of its Pioneers and Prominent Men Chapter XLIX. Drumore TownshipEducation in Drumore was carefully fostered by the Scotch-Irish element in its early history. In 1770 the Rev. James Latta, pastor of Chestnut Level Presbyterian Church, was principal of a Latin school. The school was on the farm now owned by John Myers, about a mile west of the Friends' meeting-house. Latin and English were thoroughly taught. Many of his pupils became famous in after-years. After Mr. Latta retired from active service, the school was continued by his son, Francis. Another son of the Lattas', for his classical acquirements, was selected by Aaron Burr as tutor for his gifted daughter, Theodosia. In 1852 an academy building was erected at Chestnut Level, and in a few years an extensive boarding-house was added and the school flourished for several years. The first teacher was the Rev. J. Ross Ramsay; the last, Thomas R. Nicholson. Our semi-private normal schools, aided yearly by large State appropriations, have closed many excellent private institutions of learning in the unequal competition.
Drumore township accepted the common school system in 1834, and had at that time 832 taxables. In 1837 there were 9 schools, 12 teachers, and 220 pupils, supported at an expenditure of $3023. In 1883 there were 15 schools and 15 teachers. The school near Murphy's Loup is composed exclusively of colored pupils. The whole number of pupils in the schools in 1883 was 743, 387 are males and 356 females. These are maintained at an expense of $4150 per year. The number of taxables in the same year was 918.