TOWNSHIPS IN LANCASTER COUNTY COVERED BY OUR SOCIETY:
Bart, Colerain, Drumore, East Drumore, Eden, Fulton, Little Britain, Providence, Quarryville Boro, and Sadsbury township
We welcome any information pertaining to the above mentioned townships including GEDCOM files of families of the area.
WHO WE ARE:
Our organization is an offspring of the Solanco Minsterial History Committee. The Southern Lancaster County Historical Society adopted by-laws in December, 1970. The first meeting was held on January 15,1971. We are a Pennsylvania non-profit corporation, incorporated on December 5, 1977.
MANAGMENT AGREEMENT WITH THE STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA:
On May 19,1982, the Southern Lancaster County Historical Society entered into an agreement with the Pennsylvania Historical Commission to manage the Robert Fulton Birthplace. Under this arrangement, the Warehouse has been restored and renovated as headquarters for meeting and the housing of Archive materials.
WHAT WE DO:
- Our monthly meetings are held the third Saturday of each month at 1:30 PM at the Archives & Warehouse Building, opposite the Robert Fulton Birthplace, Route 222, south of Quarryville, PA.
Exceptions: May - annual bus trip: and December - member holiday luncheon.
- We have educatioal and entertaining programs.
- We sponser youth projects.
- We have fun and fellowship.
- We have an annual bus trip to a historical site in May
- We file and maintain historical records of families, events, ect.
- We preserve pictures, paintings, books, journals, etc..
- The first Sunday in December, we host a Christmas Candlelight Tour of the Birthplace in conjunction with the Christmas Greens Sale in the Warehouse Building from 12:00 noon to 5 p.m.
- Members are trained as tour guides for the Robert Fulton Birthplace, open to visitors from Memorial Day through Labor Day on Saturdays from 11:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. ; and on Sundays from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Group tours (schools, senior citizens, scouts etc.) are given by appointment.
- Volunteers are at the Archives (weather permitting) Wed. from 9:30am to about 12:00 noon. Visitors are
welcome to join us during this time to do research. Cost $10.00 Free for members
Click Here to return to SLCHS Homepage