page 1166 .
HOWARD MILES BAIR, the well-known funeral director, of No. 136 East King street, Lancaster, is descended from a family who have lived in this county for generations. Originally there were three brothers who settled in the vicinity of New Holland, early in the eighteenth century, and Mr. Bair is a lineal descendant of one of these brothers. Henry Bair, father of Howard M., was a prominent hotel-keeper of this county, and died in 1878, aged seventy-nine years. He had been blind for his last twenty-one years. The mother, Mary (Miller) Blair, died in 1882. The three children born to this union were: Charles Fremont, who is a finisher with a large New York establishment engaged in the manufacture of architectural and structural iron; Elsie B., wife of William M. Shaum, head book-keeper in the Lancaster Intelligencer office; and Howard M., of this sketch. Howard Miles Bair was born in Strasburg, March 9, 1859, his father being at that time proprietor of the "Washington House" of that borough, but the latter died when Howard was nineteen years of age. In 1873 he became an errand boy in Shultz Bros. hat store, this city, and later spent years in the service of Zecher Bros., liverymen, and also in the Brimmer livery service. After 1895 he turned. his attention to the study of funeral directing and embalming, and in November, 1897, became a graduate embalmer. On April 1, 1900, Mr. Bair purchased the well-established and extensive undertaking business of Mr. Henry Wolf, which he has since conducted as an up-to-date undertaking establishment. In January, 1878, Mr. Bair was married to Miss Mary L. Martin, of Bridgeport, Conn., and one child was born of this union, Miss. Agnes E. Bair, who was graduated from the College of St. Xavier, at Beatty, Pa., in June, 1900. Socially Mr. Bair belongs to the Eagles, and the Vetlan Veterans. He and his wife and daughter live in the marble front dwelling at No. 125 North Duke street, and their hospitable home is a favorite resort of a large circle of devoted friends.