BORDLEY S. PATTERSON. Among the honorable and weil-esteemed citizens of Little Britain township is Bordley S. Patterson, who was born on the farm he now occupies, near White Rock, in Lancaster county, Sept. 24, 1834. The Patterson family is one of the oldest and most respected of Lancaster county. The founder of the family in this State was James Patterson, who was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1708, and immigrated to America in 1728. Coming to the State of Pennsylvania, he bought large tracts of and from the Government, and settled down in Little Britain township; later he went to New York to meet his affianced bride from Ireland, Mary Montgomery, whom he brought back with him to Pennsylvania. He reared a family of ten children, William, John, Hannah, Mary, Samuel, Jane, Isabella, James, Elizabeth and Thomas. James Patterson (2), son of James, and the grandfather of Bordley S. Patterson, was born in Little Britain township, Nov. 4, 1745. He married Letitia Gardner, and they had these children, Isabella, Francina, Robert, Mary, Elizabeth, Jane, James, Letitia and Rachel, all of whom have passed to another life. Robert Patterson, son of James (2), and the father of Bordley S., was born March 21 1787, and, died March 31, 1861. He was first married to a Miss Ewing, and the four children born to this marriage were James, Gardner, Mary and Eliza. The second wife of Robert Patterson was Sarah Shippen, and three children were born to this union: Bordley S.; Francis, deceased; and Edward B., a prosperous merchant in Oxford, Pa., lately removed to Philadelphia. During life Robert Patterson was not only a large landowner and prosperous farmer but he was also a prominent citizen and a leader in the Democratic party. Since early days the family has been connected with the Presbyterian Church. Bordley S. Patterson was born on the farm he now occupies, Sept. 24, 1834, a son of the late Robert and Sarah (Shippen) Patterson. This old farm has been his home through life, and he still occupies the old stone mansion which was erected by his grandfather in 1806. So few of these old homes remain, in these days of change and mutation, that the old Patterson homestead has become an object of historic interest, and it is highly valued by its owners and occupants. In the public schools of his locality Mr. Patterson obtained his early education, going later to the Lititz and Mt. Joy academies. He began an agricultural life, which he has carried on with success. His farm of 135 acres in Little Britain township, near White Rock, is one of the best cultivated and improved in this locality, his elegant and commodious residence, great barns and attractive surroundings making it an ideal country home. Mr. Patterson is also the owner of a one-half interest in a fine estate, comprising 140 acres in Colerain township, which, is as well managed and as productive as the home farm. On Oct. 9, 1862, was celebrated the marriage of Bordley S. Patterson and Miss Emma M. Worth; of Chester county, Pa. She was born in 1841, a daughter of Samuel A. and Hester (Hoops) Worth; both of whom were of English origin. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Patterson: Robert L., who was born,in 1864, married Elizabeth Colter, and is in business in Oxford, Pa.; Fred W., born in 1867, who married Miss Cora Welch, of St. Paul, Minn., and is engaged ih the tea and coffee business in the above named city, and Eliza Shippen, born in 1874, the wife of Hugh A. Foresman, a publisher in Chicago, Illinois. In public, religious and social life Mr. Patterson is a leading citizen of Little Britain township. His devotion to the Jeffersonian principles of the Democratic party has been life-long, and he has been active in its councils. For seven years Mr. Patterson was the efficient township auditor, and he has served with satisfaction to all as judge and inspector of elections, and has not only been selected to serve several times on the grand jury of Lancaster county of which he has been foreman, but also on the United States jury, his reputation as a most honorable and high-minded man making him desirable in responsible positions. In 1884 Mr. Patterson was elected a director of the Northern Mutual Insurance Company, and since 1893 has been treasurer of the company. Mr. Patterson is a member of the Presbyterian church in Colerain township, serving faithfully as trustee of that institution. A man with the highest standards of integrity, charitable, generous and public-spirited. Bordley S. Patterson is a representative man of this part of Lancaster County.