pages 282 283
E. H. REYNOLDS, who has been prominently identified with the business interests of Cecil County for many years, was born in District No.6, a mile and ahalf northwest of Rising Sun, and is a representative of one of the oldest families of this locality. He traces his ancestry back to Henry Reynolds, who was born in England about 1655, and established the family in America. His son, Jacob Reynolds, was born in 1727, and was the father of Jonathan Reynolds, the grandfather of our subject, who was born on the old family homestead in this county, April 9, 1755. The original farm purchased by the family comprised four hundred and ninety-one acres of land near Rising Sun, a part of which property is now in possession of our subject. The grandfather was a drover and dealer in stock, and was numbered among the prominent citizens of the community. Haines Reynolds, the father, was born on the old homestead, and married Phoebe Moore, daughter of David and Sarah Moore. He made milling his life work, and also established the machine shop and foundry on Stone Run, and owned and operated a saw and grist mill on his farm. His business interests were extensive and were profitably managed. He died in 1865, and his wife passed away in 1861, their remains being interred in West Nottingham Friends burying ground. They were members of the Friends' Church, and had a family of ten children, namely: Sarah, widow of John Nice; Elizabeth, David and Jacob, all deceased; Theodore; E. H.; Mary J., decease,d wife of Coulton Kimball; Anna E., wife of J. P. Kirk, who is living near Liberty Grove; Phoebe, deceased wife of William Thomas; and Reuben, who has also passed away. The boyhood and youth of E.H. Reynolds were quietly passed upon the home farm. His elementary education, acquired in the common schools, was supplemented by a course in Kennett's Academy, and at the age of seventeen he began teaching, which profession he followed through five winter terms. He also assisted in the work of the foundry and saw and grist mnills, remaining on the old homestead until twenty-two years of age. He then rented the farm and machine shops and continued the foundry business in connection with agricultural pursuits for two years. In 1867, when his father's estate was sold, he purchased the original Reynolds homestead, and is now the owner of ninety-eight acres of valuable land. He also engaged in superintending the operation of the stone quarries in West Nottingham Townshi p, Chester County, Pa., following that business for six years. He afterward carried on general farming until 1893, when he removed to Rising Sun, where he has since been engaged in the business of plumbing and steam heating. He is a progressive business man, whose energy and perseverance enable him to overcome all obstacles in his path and work his way upward to success. On the 23d of February, 1859, Mr. Reynolds married Miss Lydia Lincoln, daughter of John Lincoln. Their children are: Ella, wife of Edwin M. Hunt, of Rising Sun; Maggie; S. Rosine, wife of Benjamin Stubbs; Lizzie, wife of U. Grant Brown, of West Nottingham Township, Chester County, Pa.; and Jannette, at home. Mr. Reynolds and his wife are members of the Society of Friends, and are highly esteemed citizens of the Community in which they reside. In all the relations of life Mr Reynolds is true to duty and to the trust reposed in him, and fully merits the warm regard of his many friends.