Copying files to other sites requires permission from the submitters PRIOR to uploading to any other sites. We encourage links to our site.
On the road from Peach Bottom to Cherry Hill in Fulton Township is located the residence of Mr. Harry Steele Jr. This building, before being converted into a dwelling, was known as the Cherry Hill Chapel, an outpost, or preaching station, of the Chestnut Level Presbyterian Church. The Reverend John M. Galbreath, pastor of that church, like those who had preceded him, was accustomed to conduct services at numerous outposts, frequently school houses, located within his reach. Such services in many instances, as in this particular case, resulted in the desire of local residents for a permanent and more commodious place of worship.
Accordingly, a building was erected in 1899 on this site and named Cherry Hill Chapel. Services were conducted here at stated times by Pastor Galbreath and two of his successors, the Reverend Edwin Curtis and the Reverend Arthur Northwood until about 1920. Shortly thereafter the building was sold to Mr. William Shank who converted it into a dwelling.
There were two stained glass memorial windows in the Chapel, one dedicated to James McSparran, 1801-1863, and the other to Amelia F. McSparran, 1813-1900. At the time of sale these windows were reserved and placed in the Chapel Annex to the Chestnut Level Church House being built at that time.
Most such Chapels have ceased to function and the practice of preaching at outposts has ceased to be a necessity since the coming of the automobile has made the distance from Church much shorter and attendance more convenient and available to all. All such outposts have served their purpose well, bearing fruit, some thirty, some sixty and some an hundred fold.