The Free Church
Colerain township, Lancaster county Pa
"From History of Lancaster County" by Ellis and Evans printed 1883
The Free Church.In 1845 the General Assembly
of the Presbyterian Church of the United States made
a deliverance on the subject of slavery. Fifteen ministers
of the churches located in Western Pennsylvanla
and Ohio seceded from the church because of
the pro-slavery sentiments of the Assembly's deliverance.
Certain members of the Presbyterian Churches
of Union, Oxford, Fagg's Manor, and Octorara sympathized
with these ministers and erected a church
building, and effected all organization called the Free
Presbyterian Church of Colerain. This building is
located in Colerain township, near Andrews' Bridge.
It is still standing, and is used as a public hall. This
Church was dissolved at the request of its members
April 14, 1874, by the Presbytery of Westminster,
and the members transferred to Union Church.
This site is generously
Hosted by RootsWeb
return to SLCHS homepage