Copying files to other sites requires permission from the submitters PRIOR to uploading to any other sites. We encourage links to our site.
In the northwestern corner of Eden Township, the United Brethren had built a frame meetinghouse in 1883. David B. Graham transferred the plot to the Mt. Zion United Brethren Church. Trustees were John G. Smoker, John Helm, James A. Hamilton, Michael G. Rowe, and Samuel A. Keen. There was a class ten years before and prior thereto it was a part of New Holland, Intercourse, Lancaster, Quarryville, and other circuits. The deed says, when no longer religious services are held here, it reverts to the adjoining property owner.
By 1898 Amos Denlinger canvassed the area and found thirty ready for Sunday School privileges. After the April Quarterly Meeting in 1898, C. M. Brackbill and Isaac E. Hershey canvassed and found thirty-two children in thirty-six families ready. On May 20, 1899 the "court deeded this property to the Sunday School Mission for $825. II. F. Book and Christian Neff were the first superintendents. The School, open from April to October, registered about 125, years after the turn of the century. By 1908 the trustees obtained the property. George Graham, Ruben Newswanger, Jacob Hershey, John C. Hershey were among the superintendents over the years. It was served by the Paradise ministry at first. It is now a part of the Paradise-Hershey District with Clair B. Eby, Bishop, C. Marvin Eshleman, Minister, and Clarence Hershey, Deacon. It includes Nickel Mines opened in 1935. The membership is 83, and Sunday School averages 102
We are celebrating our 105th Anniversary this year. For our 100th Anniversary we produced a 300 page book on the history of the church and the surrounding area. We have included many of the family surnames who live in the community.
The Church has 180 copies of this book available for sale