Copying files to other sites requires permission from the submitters PRIOR to uploading to any other sites. We encourage links to our site.
Oak Shade on the "Gatchell Road" formerly had a store and post office, and at Spring Hill, famous for its marvelous spring and a half mile west, a wheelwright shop, which later also became Oak Shade. Dr. Miller gave a site for a community chapel in 1893. Mrs. Keylor of Colerain Baptist paid the debt. It was used by the latter, as well as by Union and Little Britain Presbyterians and Quakers, but soon became Baptist exclusively. Rev. George Widdowson took a special interest in it but it finally closed.
On a frosty morning in January, 1923, Abram L. Huber of Willow Street contacted William McCardell near the chapel. He invited him to use the chapel, for the pastor had left years before, financially starved, and the flock scattered. John W. Weaver, Mission Board field worker, opened services in November. In July, 1926, Abram L. Huber opened Sunday School as superintendent; by 1925, John F. Bressler, was given ministerial oversight with the Mechanic Grove ministry. By 1930, the work was discontinued, to be opened again on May 14, 1933, with 55 pupils present. Enos B. Myer began as super- intendent under the Mechanic Grove ministry. On July 14, 1946, Ray S. Yost became the first local pastor. Monroe G. Peifer was the only deacon; for ten years he has been in the southwest Alabama mission field. At least 20 from the community have become baptized mem-bers. Harry M. Brenneman was the last to be ordained. The mem-bership is 34, the Sunday School averages 45, and Summer Bible School 100. The building was remodeled in 1962 giving desirable ac-commodations for the congregation so as to best serve the community.