Copying files to other sites requires permission from the submitters PRIOR to uploading to any other sites. We encourage links to our site.
The Scotch Irish Presbyterians settled the lower end, including Little Britain and around Rawlinsville. By 1742 the Associate Presby-terian Church built a log house on Muddy Run. It became the Muddy Run Presbyterian Church when the present stone church was built in 1853. The young people drifted to cities and other areas and non-Presbyterians replaced them. This is one of the earliest extant Presby-terian meetinghouses in America, therefore historic.
Abram L. Huber had a farm adjoining. He reported to John W. Weaver, field worker, that this edifice had been abandoned for a few decades. On July 7, 1929, Joseph M. Nissley preached the sermon, Henry R. Hess and H. Elvin Herr were the superintendents. In at-tendance were 142. John W. Weaver had three services prior. The first series of meetings were conducted by Jacob T. Harnish in 1930. In 1933 as a result of Elam W. Stauffer's meetings, five Jones children came into the church, making the South Christian Church in Lan-caster a reality. Prayer meeting began on July 5, 1934, and profitable prayer meetings they were and are. John H. Miller was the first ordained pastor in 1945, followed by Amos M. Hess, and Harold H. Hess, with H. Elvin Herr, Deacon. The present membership is 84, with a Sunday School average of 100 and a Summer Bible School of 230. The present building was erected in 1948.
Another group entered Bart Township about 1950, appropriating the Bart Friends Meetinghouse until 1956, when they built nearer Smyrna. The Old Order Mennonites have a new meetinghouse below Fairmount in Little Britain with a small membership. Jeremiah O. Sensenig, pastor, accommodates the members moving thereabouts. The Old Order Amish have also entered the area the last few decades with six districts and about 500 members, tilling the fair acres and blessing the area. In 1920 John Swarr left the Mennonite Church to start the Calvary Mennonites with a chapel on route 222 near the village of Mechanic Grove but this is no longer Mennonite. In 1950 the New Danville District opened service in Oakwood, Cecil County, Maryland, a work that is thriving, with all the workers living in southern Lancaster County.