Copying files to other sites requires permission from the submitters PRIOR to uploading to any other sites. We encourage links to our site.
The Smyrna Chapel was located on route 372 between Georgetown and Christiana. It was a non-denominational community church building, supposed to have been built prior to 1800 and was first used as a school building and later as a residence.
Mr. Abner Armstrong purchased the building and later sold it to Mr. John Wilson, who in turn sold it to the people of the community, who secured the money by soliciting contributions from the citizens of the neighborhood. It is listed as The Smyrna Chapel Sun-day School Association. The building cannot be sold since it is Community property. There are still a couple of families in the area whose parents helped to obtain this place of worship.
So far as is known Mr. George Schweiger of Georgetown was the first lay pastor. It was a small church but had been blessed in many ways. The Church helped support several Missionaries and had grown spiritually through the preaching of Christ and his Word, the Bible. Services were disbanded in the 1960s.