Copying files to other sites requires permission from the submitters PRIOR to uploading to any other sites. We encourage links to our site.
The Reverend William Easton, Pastor of the Octoraro Associate Presbyterian Church in Bart Township from 1828 to 1879, lived in the village of Smyrna in Sadsbury Township. After preaching two sermons at Octoraro, he was accustomed to preach regularly on Sab-bath evening in the little stone School House not far from his home. After some years, the residents of the community desired greater facilities for their worship services. A plot of ground was donated for that purpose by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Thompson and a stone Church erected. Pastor Easton preached the first sermon in the new build-ing June 14, 1840, from Second Chronicles, Chapter 7, the third verse.
This Church, like the Mother Church of Octoraro, became a United Presbyterian Church after the union of the Associate and Associate Reformed Synods in 1858. Services continued to be held here for some years after Pastor Easton's death in 1879, but were finally discontinued; after lying idle for some time, the building was acquired by a local produce dealer and converted into a slaughter house. The building is located on Route 372 at the western edge of the village of Smyrna.