Copying files to other sites requires permission from the submitters PRIOR to uploading to any other sites. We encourage links to our site.
"The African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1872 at the house of Samuel Steward. The following were members present for organization: William Proctor, Charles Steward, Hannah Rollins, Mary Jane Sweeney, Mary Green, Maria Rollins, Stephen Sweeney, and Sophia Steward. At this meeting William Proctor, Samuel Steward and Stephen Sweeney were elected trustees. Previous to this time Reverends Holland and Henry served this people at their several homes. The same year the congregation was organized, they purchased one-fourth of an acre of land from Charle's Steward for the sum of twenty-five dollars, upon which they erected a frame church building, forty by twenty-two feet, the balance of the land to be used as a burying-ground. The corner-stone of the church was laid on the 2nd of October, 1872, Bishop J. A. Shorter officiating. The church was dedicated the following spring. The first minister who served them after the building of the church was Elder H. H. Lewis, followed by Reverend James Paden, Elders Grumes, Henderson, Davis, Robinson, Jackson R. Davis, and J. L. Hamilton, the present pastor." 1
Church services were disbanded in the early 1880s.
1 Ellis and Evans, p. 1019.